Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying online - At what point do you have a contract?

Options
  • 08-12-2005 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

As the title says, Im having a dispute with an online retailer.

Details are as follows: The online transaction was completed, was sent order ackowledgement & reciept. The transaction was approved by my bank (the bank have told me this) but the company for some mysterious reason havent taken money from my credit card. Im wondering do I have a contract here or not.

Im looking for solid advice here so Id appreciate people not guessing.
    Thanks guys & gals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You don't have a contract until money has changed hands. Now, whether authorisation to take a payment from your card constitutes this, I don't know, but I wouldn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

seamus wrote:
    You don't have a contract until money has changed hands. Now, whether authorisation to take a payment from your card constitutes this, I don't know, but I wouldn't think so.

Not necessarily so, will depend on terms and conditions of sale.

For example a purchase order is deemed a legal document, although no money has changed hands.

It will depend on terms and conditions of sale, which should be on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Does the line "We are supplying this documentation to confirm your order has recently credit cleared and will commence production shortly." in the reciept I recieved have significance here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Hmmm. it's pretty vague. "Shortly" could mean anything.

On the face of it, it looks like a committment on their part to procedure with your order.....however....Sorry to keep going back to their terms and conditions......but it might have a term along the lines of " Good remains the property of X, until full payment has been received " which would carry significant weight.

So again .... it depends.

If you post full terms and conditions, we might be able to give you further advice.

Im happy to report that Ive just recieved confirmation from the bank that they recieved payment nearly a week ago & its just a case of one dept not knowing what the other is doing. Now to get back to that manager who was so rude to me this morning & inform him of that fact.

Lads thanks for the help & advice, its much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Just to ask a related question. If the company offers a refund am I entitled to refuse this & instead push for the goods I originally ordered or a suitable replacement if those cannot be provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well it all depends on a judge really. They say online purchases are invitations to treat so there's no contract until money changes hands but the ITT idea is being re-examined in some quarters. So far though it's only been dissenting judges redefining what is a contract and what is an Intention to Treat.

So if I refuse a refund then realistically Im going to have to take them to court to get what I want?

Would the situation be the same had I bought something in a bricks & mortar shop? as in can I refuse a refund in the event of a company offering one instead of supplying the goods, & instead ask for the goods or goods of similar quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Ooops sorry, was offering the first question, not the one about refunds.

Oh ok cheers. Anyone have any info on the second one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a problem, I bought all our appliances from a big UK company
    amongst the appliances was a Siemens stainless steel dishwasher.
    The model offered was a display model and was £100 cheaper.
    I ordered and paid immediately, and was told that delivery would take a week.
    nearly a month later ( I was allowing for disruption with the ferry strikes).
    I ring and ask where the order is after a wait the girl comes back with:
    The dishwasher that you wanted was sold and the nearest model is £100 more expensive.
    any ideas on what my rights are?

Advertisement