Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal County Council

Options
  • 08-12-2005 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Why do the council not finish something when they start?
    Roundabouts, roads, footapths, estates?????????
    It would make much more sense to people if they finished something.
    Anyone got any answers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Why do the council not finish something when they start?
    Roundabouts, roads, footapths, estates?????????
    It would make much more sense to people if they finished something.
    Anyone got any answers?

Is it a particular area that you are referring to !, any example's of un-finished works ?....

P.:cool:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think Letterkenny is a prime example of unfinished roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think it would be safe to say that you could name any town in the county that has unfinished roadworks.

I certainly dont blame the manual workers themselves, its the so called overseers and engineers who are to blame. I wouldn't want to pen my thoughts about them here as I would have to ban myself for abusive language :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I think that they only get a certain budget for each thing and sometimes run over budget on these meaning they have to leave them.
    also as far as i know, the councils financial year endes in november which means they always start loads of minor things in october/november in order to beg/ask for more money for the following year to finish the projects they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

foggy wrote:
    I think that they only get a certain budget for each thing and sometimes run over budget on these meaning they have to leave them.
    also as far as i know, the councils financial year endes in november which means they always start loads of minor things in october/november in order to beg/ask for more money for the following year to finish the projects they are doing.
    Yeah they do have a set amount of money for each project. Their financial year is the same as everyone elses, it ends in December. I think the problem is that they have to complete the project under their list of capital works and then get reimbursed from the D.o E. before the end of December each year.

Im speculating a wee bit here but the council officials do a bit of juggling with the amounts of money they have to spend in any particular year. By the time they get some of the larger works done through the year they have to figure out what amount of money they have left and what projects can be started and completed for that amount and then go hell for leather at them and get them completed and their paperwork all submitted in December.

I recall a case several years ago where the county manager basically took the money that was to have been used on a particular project and spent it on a different project and by all accounts he was right in doing so as that other job was much more urgent and important. Anyway the Dept. of the Environment (from where the money came from in the first place) twigged what he had done and he he to repay the total amount and this then wrecked their entire budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement