Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Middleton very rare Whiskey

Options
  • 08-12-2005 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bottle of Middleton Whiskey for a Crimbo pressie. Saw it in Dunnes Stores for 120 euro and the local off licence for the same price.

Anybody know if its cheaper anywhere? shops or the interweb?

Quazzy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Stevee

You wont get it any cheaper ANYWHERE. If is out of your leauge try a bottle of Glenfidditch. But remember you get what you pay rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Well at least I know thats the cheapest im gonna get it for.

Thanks

Quazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

quazzy wrote:
    I'm looking for a bottle of Middleton Whiskey for a Crimbo pressie.

Spelt Midleton.

I drive past the Distillery almost every day, but still have never been able to afford a bottle.

...Then again the Jameson (also made in Midleton) we buy on hols at 1/3 the price. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

maidhc wrote:
    Spelt Midleton.

I drive past the Distillery almost every day, but still have never been able to afford a bottle.

...Then again the Jameson (also made in Midleton) we buy on hols at 1/3 the price. :S

the cheapest place to buy whiskey ... a french supermarket :) ... my jaw always drops when I see all the irish whiskeys in there and the price tags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/asp/category_AtoZ.asp?ObjectID=675&Mode=20&RecordID=98

120 euro here too ... Some of the prices are crazy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yeah i get this for me pop every xmas. 120 is as cheap as you'll get it. that price everywhere except places like berry and rudd where they try to charge 140 for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Stevee

Its well worth every penny. I have often though of buying the 2K bottle. But I knoow I would only end up drinking it all on the way back from the early house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

This thread just reminded me, I have a bottle of 1994 Midleton Very Rare at home that I've never opened. Still in its casket with its certificate too.

I can't believe the price a 1997 bottle is going for on that Celtic Whiskey Shop site, €349.99! Wonder what mine is worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

If you know anyone flying out to a non EU country get them to pick it up in the Duty Free. Should get it for around the €65 mark.

Dingatron wrote:
    If you know anyone flying out to a non EU country get them to pick it up in the Duty Free. Should get it for around the €65 mark.
    Im afraid there's nobody leaving the EU this side of Crimbo so I think I'll just cough up the 120 price tag. :(

Ah well.. from what most ppl say its worth it.

My thanks to everyone for posting.

Quazzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Definitely worth it. Though you could always try Redbreast if you looking for a good cheapish whiskey to try (around €35).

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

No way will you get it for €65 - it would walk off the shelves at that price.

Excise duty on Midleton very Rare is same as any Whiskey at 40%. so price reduction will be 10-15 euro max.

Also there is no comparison between Midleton and Glenfiddich (mass produced Single Malt)

Jameson 12year old is really nice as is Redbreast but Midleton is top of the tree !

Buy it and drink it - you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

whats so special about this

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

$100 (€85) in Chicago duty free ...!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yay, mother is in NY right now. She'll be bringing me back some! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

They don't have 21% vat over there !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Also there is no comparison between Midleton and Glenfiddich (mass produced Single Malt)

Jameson 12year old is really nice as is Redbreast but Midleton is top of the tree !
    I agree... I wouldn't even compare Glanfiddich to the lowliest of the Irish whiskeys.

I find Green Spot is a nice cheap(er) alternative to Midleton. It's made in the same casks apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a great whiskey, well worth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

go for it...i bought my friend a bottle for his wedding present..he loved it!

if ya want a less expensive whiskey get yourself a bottle of johnny walker black label...mmmm...prob around 40/45 euro...but well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I find Green Spot is a nice cheap(er) alternative to Midleton. It's made in the same casks apparently.

I haven't tried that one yet but after hearing that I think I will. But it's also hard to go wrong with Redbreast 12 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

You can get a naggin of High Commissioner for €5, now that's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

a naggin for a fiver. So thats 24 naggins for the price of one bottle. Economy of scale my nizzle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Apologies the duty free price is in fact €95.15. I used to work there a few years ago and back then it was £45 IR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

blahblah06 wrote:
    whats so special about this

Buy a bottle and find out. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

http://www.airportshopping.ie/airportshop/Dublin/BestSellers/liquor.htm

The price in dublin airport is 95 duty free , 120 duty paid

bullrunner wrote:
    go for it...i bought my friend a bottle for his wedding present..he loved it!

if ya want a less expensive whiskey get yourself a bottle of johnny walker black label...mmmm...prob around 40/45 euro...but well worth it

The deed is done...
    The whisky is bought...
    and I've got a 120 euro shaped hole in my wallet.

Well, at least someone will have a MERRY Crimbo.

Thanks for everyone input and advice.

Quazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Sorry for diggin up this old thread but does anyone know where Midleton can be got for less than €146??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Sorry for diggin up this old thread but does anyone know where Midleton can be got for less than €146??

There is a seperate Bargain Alert Requests sub forum. Might be easier to start a new thread for it there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1027

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement