Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"msstl.exe" - Any experiences of this virus?

Options
  • 08-12-2005 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, unfortunately I had to re-install Windows today as my PC refused to boot this morning for no apparent reason. Now that I have re-installed it, and have no internet-related programs running, I have noticed that my Network Connection is sending an unusually large amount of packets.

I checked in task manager and noticed a few new processes "msstl.exe" and a couple of others I stopped like "MSNServers.exe" and more.

I googled "msstl.exe" and found out it was a Trojan, so I'm running my AVG Virus-scan now to try and detect it (no luck so far).

Has anyone had an experience of this virus? Is it a common/potentially serious one? Will my AVG have to be up-to-date to detect and heal it (connection doesn't seem to be able to contact the AVG updates unfortunately...).

Sorry if I'm over-reacting, I'm just not used to these kind of things.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

RootKit ..based on a 2 second google.
    boot to safe mode - and kill BusinessC (BusinessContinuity) from Services if present, and msstl.exe from startup items.
    Download a copy of the latest AVG updates and copy them to the PC; along with S&D and AdAware..

Advertisement