Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chronicles of Narina reading order?

Options
  • 08-12-2005 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I just borrowed a boxed set of the Chronicles of Narnia in chronological order and I am just looking for some feedback on which order I should read them in?

The originally published order by C.S.Lewis:

1) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
    2) Prince Caspian
    3)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    4) The Silver Chair
    5) The Horse and His Boy
    6) The Magician's Nephew
    7) The Last Battle

or, the boxed-set chronological order:

1) The Magician's Nephew
    2) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
    3) The Horse and His Boy
    4) Prince Caspian
    5)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    6) The Silver Chair
    7) The Last Battle

From what I have read online reading the books in chronological order spoils all of the surprise and magic out of the first visit to Narnia (in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe), because we already know what's going on! I am guessing that Lewis would agree with this as well so why have the publishers re-boxed them in chronological order?

From an Amazon.com customer review:
    It must be conceded that in a letter written in 1957 (published in "Letters to Children"), Lewis did appear to state a mild preference for the chronological order. But in that same letter Lewis concluded: "So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them." Surely Lewis' own conclusion is correct.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Check out this thread from about 10 days ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054854961

CS Lewis' estate must be getting minted at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

CS Lewis' estate must be getting minted at the moment.

Yeah it's about time too. Pity he's not alive himself to enjoy it - same with Tolkien. JK Rowling was born in a very fortunate age.

And for the record, i reckon reading them in the chronological order EXCEPT for The Magician's Nephew is the best way to go. The chronolical order makes most sense, but The Magician's Nephew really isn't necessary and does kinda dampen the magic of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. All Magician's Nephew really does is provide some interesting back story to the rest of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Branoic wrote:
    And for the record, i reckon reading them in the chronological order EXCEPT for The Magician's Nephew is the best way to go. The chronolical order makes most sense, but The Magician's Nephew really isn't necessary and does kinda dampen the magic of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. All Magician's Nephew really does is provide some interesting back story to the rest of the series.

completely agree.

i read them all about ten years ago and actually only read the magicians nephew last... lion the witch and the wardrobe is the one to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe first. Personally I think it's better to read it before The Magician's Nephew, The Magician's Nephew really just explains a few things but if you read it first it does kinda spoil The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe...

lol at the name of this thread :):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement