Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with windows firewall and IE settings

Options
  • 07-12-2005 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this but here goes anyway.

I cant seem to switch windows firewall on or change any of the settings . i am also having a problem changing settings in IE . When i try to change the security level in the settings its giving me the following error (see picture attachments below )

Any suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Have you installed a third party firewall like ZoneAlarm?

The message for IE settings is pretty normal in updated versions, it doesn't allow you to go below the medium level of security for your own safety.
    but, you should probably use some other browser like firefox or opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

Sounds like its access rights related. Do you have admin rights on your account? \\if not then you shouldn't be able to change any security settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

its only one account and it has admin rights. had zonealarm installed but ive removed it and there is still a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

:cool: If you feel confident and want to delve into the registry then you can turn on the firewall within the windows registry by doing the following:

Start\Run\regedit

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Controlset001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\

Set EnableFirewall to 1

Then check your firewall to check that its on. If not then you need to run some anti-spyware, Microsofts is free and works well. I would run the anti-spyware anyway as it sounds like you may have something lurking on your system, run your anti-virus too on a full scan.

Best of luck.

Advertisement