Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU choices on Komplett.

Options
  • 07-12-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

I've got an Optron 144,Asus A8N-E, OCZ rev2 3200 ram and an x800 which I'd like to put to better use than my 350w Jeantech is allowing me.

I'm ordering a nec burner so may as well save a tenner on postage and get a PSU from Komplett while I'm at it.

I've seen plenty of posts on here warning off some of their psu's so I'd like a wee bit of advice on which to go for?
    I'd prefer not to spend a fortune unless I have to.

Thanks in advance Guys...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Antec/Fortron/OCZ

Find one of those in your price range and your lovin it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Don't forget Tagan! I have the 480W one and find it excellent.
    In fact of all the PSU makes listed on Komplett the only ones I would class as an "unknown quantity" are the Inwin and NorthQ models, don't know much about them. The only ones I would advise you to steer away from are the Thermaltakes, not good power supplies at all from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

It's a pity they don't sell the seasonic s12 430, i picked up mine for about 60 euro, i'm guessing the 500 is a bit out of your price range. Shame, they're the best PSUs komplett sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

What's the price range?
    To reiterate what others have said, pick any Antec/OCZ, Fortron, Tagan, or Seasonic and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the Seasonic S12 Powersupply 600W on order from komplett. From what i have read its ment to be one of the best you can get. Its a bit pricy but i just splashed out. Have the OCZ 520watt PSU and its good i must say but i think even though i have not recived my Seasonic that would be my PSU of choice.

Also have an Antec and Jantec i seem to just collect PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    What's the price range?
    To reiterate what others have said, pick any Antec/OCZ, Fortron, Tagan, or Seasonic and you should be fine.

yeh i agree too and also emphasize.. avoid thermaltake + qtec :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

BadCharlie wrote:
    Have the Seasonic S12 Powersupply 600W on order from komplett. From what i have read its ment to be one of the best you can get.

It is, the efficiency curve kicks the ass of other PSUs and they're the quietest fan cooled PSUs you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

gline wrote:
    avoid + qtec :D

qtec ate my mobo, and fried my cpu.:mad:

sionnach wrote:
    It is, the efficiency curve kicks the ass of other PSUs .

except maybe some PC P+C psus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I wonder if Komplett.ie have taken note of all of the bad feedback regarding Qtec. Maybe MCKomplett has relayed the long list of "avoid Qtec" comments from here. Just had a quick look a minute ago, they no longer seem to stock anything Qtec, psu or case. The cases are no loss either, I strongly suspect they are made of recycled razor blades, given the amount of flex/bendiness in the panels and the sharp edges. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

WizZard wrote:
    What's the price range?

I'm not too restricted by price but as always, prefer to not spend more than I have to!.
    I see a couple of Tagan units there for around 110 to 130 which seem to give the highest power to euro ratio... I'll likely order one of those unless someone gets technical and points out a better option! :D

If you're prepared to go to 130 then go to 135 and buy the 500W Seasonic. Sadly, most manufacturers like to be... creative when measuring power.
    It's quite technical but suffice it to say that often when you see 600W it may really only mean 480W.
    The brands mentioned in this thread rarely do that, but Seasonic do offer the best price/performance ratio in my opinion.
    Plus they're generally quiet and ultra efficient - thereby saving you money on electricity bills! ;)

<edit>Just checked. The seasonic is not sleeved ( it uses a new twisted cable technique), but the Tagan 580W is. Dunno if that will make a difference to you</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

A fortron 400w should do the trick nicely, excellent PSU's and not too expensive. (also produce more power than rated for, unlike most). Tagan also very good, and OCZ. (just from komplett side of things).

Hmmm.... Now that the fortron 400w has gotten a vote of confidence, at a reasonable 67 euro I may just go with that.
    I'm guessing it'll be a good jump forward from the 350w Jeantech?

Bearing in mind I'll be overclocking the Optron, the ram and running an x800 (for now) and a couple of ide hd's, would I be better spending another 18 euro on the Tagan 420w?

Sorry For all the questions guys, and thanks again for all the advide.

patch wrote:
    Hmmm.... Now that the fortron 400w has gotten a vote of confidence, at a reasonable 67 euro I may just go with that.
    I'm guessing it'll be a good jump forward from the 350w Jeantech?

Bearing in mind I'll be overclocking the Optron, the ram and running an x800 (for now) and a couple of ide hd's, would I be better spending another 18 euro on the Tagan 420w?

Sorry For all the questions guys, and thanks again for all the advide.

id go for a decent 500watt minimum if you are oc'ing and using an x800, what else will be running off it?

gline wrote:
    id go for a decent 500watt minimum if you are oc'ing and using an x800, what else will be running off it?

Thats it really. The optron, ocz ram, x800 (how well do these overclock by the way?), 2 hard drives, few fans, 1 or 2 burners...
    Of course I may make use of the SLI on the board eventually.

I don't plan on going nuts with the overclocking, just getting everything to its best potential and keeping it there.

The Tagan 400W will be fine for everything except SLI. If you plan on going SLI then get a 480W min. PSU
    SLI chews power

WizZard wrote:
    The Tagan 400W will be fine for everything except SLI. If you plan on going SLI then get a 480W min. PSU
    SLI chews power

I'll go with the 400w for now in that case. SLI will be next years upgrade in any case! :)
    Thanks for the help guys..

Advertisement