Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many hours will fit on a DVD R and DVDRW when recording?

Options
  • 07-12-2005 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

how many hours will fit on a DVD R and DVDRW when recording?

how many hours would a 80 Gb HDD store ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Answer: It depends.

I'm assuming MPEG2 (i.e. dvd / hardware encoder card). At dvd quality, you're looking at about 2-2.5GB per hour. At tv quality, about half that (i.e. around 60-80 hours on the 80GB drive).

If you use different codecs (e.g. xvid / divx) you can get close to dvd quality for around 1GB per hour, but real-time encoding is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

At High Quality, you can fit an hour on a 4.7 Gig Disk.... then the quality goes down, the maximum you can fit on is 6 hours, poxy quality though (Less then VHS quality)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

how much would fit on a dvd if you just wanted video quality on the dvd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭ffocused

If you are asking about recording times from dvd/hard drive recorders.....
    up to 8 hours (depending on recorder) recording on a 4.7 dvd
    3/4 hour modes will give you vhs quality.

80gb hard drives, on my Panasonic, you can fit 150 hours at the lowest quality(ep). (i have never used it that low)
    it will hold 19 hours at the highest quality (xp) or 38 in very good quality(sp) or 80 hour in vhs quality (lp)

Advertisement