Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2006: Biodiesel and Biodiesel cars supported

Options
  • 07-12-2005 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2006/downloads/SummaryOfMeasures.pdf

Reduced VRT for 2 years and reduced biodiesel costs for 5.

Manufacturers will probably take more profit on the cars as demand goes up but any diesel car that is sold in Germany probably has a variant that works on bio-diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

just wondering, does "tax relief" officially mean no tax payable?

i see that the excise on on kerosene and lpg has been halved, yet saw nothing for road going diesel...

also biodiesel will burn in any diesel engine, old or new, not sure about Germany bringing out "biodiesel specific cars.."

on another note, i got a bit of biodiesel meself , to test out, i have sitting on the window sill at the moment, to see if anything settles out of it first...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was there mention of grants for alternative energy, as regards solar or heatpumps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

from Cowen's speech
    Renewable Energy Grants
    To help develop a better focus on renewable energy my colleague, the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources intends to launch several innovative grant schemes relating to biofuels, combined heat and power, biomass commercial heaters and domestic renewable heat grants. I am allocating up to €65 million to provide support for the implementation of these initiatives in the Capital Envelope for his Department for the period 2006 to 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭turbine?

I think any diesel engine will run on biodiesel, without modification or ill effect.
    most diesel engines can be modified to run on ppo, pure pressed oil.

see www.eilishoils.com for info and prices on ppo

see www.ukhornets.co.uk for equiptment to make your own biodiesel from waste veg oils

anyone watching 'ear to the ground', a few mins ago... there was a bit on bio diesel and pure rapesed oil as a fuel... it said that the 16 million litres given tax exemption for vehicle use, must be bought at one of 8 locations around the country (i guess buying it in lidl, would be bad so...) one of the places was Kilkenny cereals , where you can drive up and fill up the car, or buy a 1000 l container... unfortunately the governments miserableness and stupidity in setting the exemption at 16 million litres over the two years, is the same amount of fuel that 12 artics would use in one year!!!

kinda pisses you off when they are off getting houses painted for free and allowing 'artists' earn up to a quarter of million before paying a cent in tax, but that another story for another day..

anyways getting back on track, i wonder does the VRT reduction on biofuel flexible cars extend to ordinary diesels, as they can burn biodiesel, or is it just reserved for cars that burn ethanol/petrol... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

yop wrote:
    Was there mention of grants for alternative energy, as regards solar or heatpumps?
    Ya better be quick...

“Minister Cowen’s announcement of €65 million for a renewable energy grant scheme for the period 2006-2010 is a case of too little, too late.”

Green Party Environment spokesperson Ciarán Cuffe, referring to the €65 million renewable energy grant, said that the Government’s announcement is only a drop in the ocean. “With 75,000 new homes being built every year, an allocation €13 million per year only amounts to €175 per house. That doesn’t allow for any allocation to existing housing stock. This will only pay for a couple of doorknobs, and is not a significant commitment. In the UK significant grants have been available to householders for such works for many years. We have to go further.”

in a word wow
    €175 might buy my solar heating controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

anyways getting back on track, i wonder does the VRT reduction on biofuel flexible cars extend to ordinary diesels, as they can burn biodiesel, or is it just reserved for cars that burn ethanol/petrol... ?

I dont get this bit. Any diesel car can burn bio-derv to some degree, any petrol car can use ethanol as a blended fuel with petrol. So does that mean we all own flexible fuel cars?

Surely the best way to build a market for bio fuels is to require it to be blended with traditional fuels by the distributors.

Mike.

i guess, the line is drawn whether it can run 100% biofuel, or if needs a blend of dino-fuel and bio-fuel..... now now, we can't have evryone in the country looking for vrt reductions... that would be just bad and unfair to the tax man...

found another indicator of how miserably starved and pathetic the government is , in that are allowing only 16 million litres of biofuel tax relief, over two years, yet we import 11 million litres of crude a day! (excluding refined oils)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The measures announced are hopeless, nothing more than a pilot programme in scale. All thats needed to kickstart production and consumption is a law requiring all motor fuel to contain a % of renewable fuel. That % would be free of all duties. With a lot of beet producers about to be put out of buisness production of ethanol should'nt take long to get under way.

Mike,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

where are the 6 places to buy the fuel?

• Advertisement

where are the 6 places to buy the fuel?

Recycled Products Ltd
    Eilish Oils Ltd
    Kilkenny Cereals Ltd
    Biogreen Energy Products Ltd
    Eco Ola
    Greyhound Recycling & Recovery Ltd
    Conoco Phillips
    Maxol Ltd

check http://www.irbea.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=27
    for breakdown on who makes what...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

What kind of milage do you get out of biofuel. Is there a difference and can you mix diseal in when you get stuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭turbine?

according to the eilishoils website you get 5% less performance out of biodiesel and 5% more performance out of ppo, compared to regular diesel. It mentions blending but I cant recall what it says.:o

thats about the same as what i've heard about fuel milage, turbine plus you get the advantage of having very good lubrication in the engine..

also you can mix dinodiesel at any ratio with biodiesel and vegetable oil that you want, they are fully miscible, although make sure you don't mix more than 1 litre of veg oil to 4 litres dino diesel if you're burning it in a diesel engine that does not have heated fuel tank, lines , injector pump e.t.c. as you could have problems starting it in cold weather and, you could also end up coking the injectors

Advertisement