Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking a Website

Options
  • 07-12-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Can any one help me i want to block a website from being viewed on my pc but dont know how to do it im using IE6

Thanks
    Anthony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fakesnake

hi
    on IE click on tools/internet options/security/restricted sites.then click on the sites button, type in the address and click add.
    goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

to stop it from being viewed using any browser
    you could modify your hosts file
    127.0.0.1 www.website.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For a single site the hosts is the quickest way - BUT it can be bypassed if they use a different host name -cdf. muppet.boards.ie vs. www.boards.ie

for multiple sites look at http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/ - blocks ads too - you can add in a site to the list with a wildcard string expression

you could also use a proxy server - but overkill unless you are thinking about one anyway

You can also use popup blockers to stop other junk - googlebar is very handy in IE for this and if you use google a lot it worth getting it. Also use SpyBot and SpyWareBlaster as they block junk sites too.

IF you were using FireFox can get extensions like Adblock or Remove This Premenantly that block parts of a web page so only see that annying junk once. The image show/hide extension can toggle on/off all images - handy on dial up.

Advertisement