Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Best €1500 Laptop

Options
  • 07-12-2005 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I would appreciate any advice for the purchase of a PC laptop for about €1500 [inc. VAT]. It would be preferable if the screen was 17'', but high performance is the most important aspect.

From reading previous threads, I'd prefer to stick with a Dell, Acer or Toshiba.

thanks in advance.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I know, I know!! You said inc. VAT but... I bought a Samsung X20 from the UK (digiuk.com) for €1450.00 ex-vat (you need an Irish VAT number for this).

The reason I tell you this is because the laptop is fantastic! It has won a "What Laptop Gold Award". It has more ports and connections than you can shake a stick at and is very stylish and lightweight. Comes with XP Pro (but no Works etc :( ) and some other bits and pieces.

It has worked a treat for me since I got it in July. And no problems with ordering/delivery either.

Just a thought.
    (Link, if interested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mgastudio

Thanks for the recommendation ButterMilkJack........ seems like a pretty good spec.

Processor : Intel Pentium M740 1.73GHz
    * Memory : 1024MB PC-3200 DDR II
    * Display : 15.1" SuperBright TFT 1024 x 768
    * Graphics : ATI Mobility Radeon X600
    * LAN : 10/100/1000 802.11a,b,g
    * Hard Drive : 60GB
    * Memory card reader : Memory Stick, Stick Pro, Secure Digital
    * Optical Storage : DVD+_RW Dual layer
    * I/O Ports : 3 x USB 2.0,*Firewire, RJ-45, RJ-11, DC, CRT connector, S-Video out, with Bluetooth
    * Battery Life : Up to*4.5 hours with power management enabled
    * Weight : 2.4Kg
    * Warranty :*1 Year Fastguard

£961.64 Including VAT at 17.5% (That works out at about €1500)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Seen as your on a budget, maybe this might interest you?
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20051205.p.Laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

X20 is fantastic i got many envious glances from alienware, dell toshiba oweners in ucd. very light, very slim and great value i got mine from jes for a grand http://www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=21483
    Beware the speakers aren't that loud in a crowded place. and if your german isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm looking for a laptop for a little less and have found the ASUS a6Va and m6Va to be of good value (and quality).

Just a question on getting a laptop from jes, the keyboard are there letters/caracters different (wrong place) to the laptops here, and what about the OS (english option?)?

jozi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

I just got an inspiron 9300

Pentium m 1.86
    1,024 ram
    256 mb nvidia geforce 6800 Go
    1920X1200 WXUGA 17"
    60gig hd
    bluetooth
    std wireless (54g)
    extra battery

very happy with it - about €1580 when they were offering 20% off - dont know how much they will negotiate but always worth a go

works really well - bit heavy if thats important to you

gobbles up games

buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Have an 9300 myself, they're a beaute. You'll be hard finding anything better for under €1500. Would easily recommend it if you don't intend moving it around everyday. I bring it to college about two days a week and the weight thing isnt that much of an issue if you have a decent bag for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cpoh

i have an inspiron 9300 aswell, have mine three months, it came with a targus rucksack type bag at the time which was great cos it is on the heavy side, if yer willing to go 100 euro or so over budget, id certainly reccommend them- mines roughly the same spec as buzz_irl's one, got it for roughly that price aswell, but they were offering free double memory on them at the time, so depending on what offers they've on at the moment, you may not get it for that kinda money

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

HP Compaq nx8220. Business laptop only available from HP resellers. I get all mine through DCB Group whom are based in Bray, but have an office here in Cork.

Specs here

€1400 + VAT always get free case:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

i have a HP pavilion notebook (dv series)
    Got it foe E1,350. Think it was a bargain and it fullfills everything in wanted.

It fast , it quiet , its light and it looks coool.

15" widescreen diamond view screen ( very high quality )

1.73 centrino
    1024mb RAM
    2mb cache
    100gb Hard Drive
    128mb graphics card (i dont game)
    and a built in multi card reader

it seriously is a brilliant machine , and a real bargain at that price . Also a decent make no some cheapo Acer or Advent or whatever .

dont think they have em in shops anymore? Bought mine in Sept.

link: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12203226-53923017.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

i just orded a ASUS M6Va just over €1200,- should run the latest games comfortably. Upgraded the RAM and Harddisk to bring it to under €1400,-
    I'll let you know how i like it when i get it, hopefull before xmass

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

jozi wrote:
    I'm looking for a laptop for a little less and have found the ASUS a6Va and m6Va to be of good value (and quality).

Just a question on getting a laptop from jes, the keyboard are there letters/caracters different (wrong place) to the laptops here, and what about the OS (english option?)?

jozi

the y and the z have switched places and the @ key is... just look at this german-keyboard.jpg

And windows is all in german NO english option, doesnt bother me tough because i've all english apps and my german is allright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Just a quick one. Does anybody have a Toshiba, and what do yuo think about it?
    Have been looking at getting a Satelite Pro m70. With an upgrade to 1gig of ram. think its about 1340€. Been looking at getting it from http://www.bms.ie/toshiba1.htm

Its a 15.4" screen 128mb ram, 1gig Ram, 1.73Pentium M. about 2.6kg, looks pretty good value, what ye think?

Advertisement