Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti- Heroes we have loved...

Options
  • 07-12-2005 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've recently finished reading 'A hero of our Time' by Lermontov and was so taken with the character of Pechorin that I had to ask myself why it was that anti-heroes are so attractive. I was always fascinated by Raskolnikov, Maldoror, Meursault, Moriarty and even Count Ugolino!... To name a few.

Anyone else have any? I could compile a list here of beloved anti-heroes!

(incidentally, for anyone who's read the book, I'm informed 'Pechorin' in Italian is an act between people who love each other very much...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Meursault would definetely be my favourite!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yossarian rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Yossarian Lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Shylock was pretty groovy in his day, although he was in some ways as much of an underdog as an anti-hero, so I was gunning for him.

Jaggers, the lawyer in Great Expectations, has to be there too. Although not quite an evil character, he just displays such gall in never letting the truth get in the way of his clients' cases (as long as the clients could afford to pay him, that is) and it is obvious that he is feared rather than respected by the wider community.

Yossarian !!!!!!!!!!111one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Laplandman

Pinnochio

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Yossarian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Judge Dredd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Richelieu

grumpy smurf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Definitely Yossarian. Respect to Tyler Durden as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Didn't like Raskolnikov really, i think just his moroseness annoyed me at times.

Yossarian is the ultimate, my favourite character from any book, in any capacity. Actually Colonel Korn and ex-PFC Wintergreen are well up the list as well.

second place to Pablo from "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

honourable mention to Cathy from "East of Eden".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John2 wrote:
    Judge Dredd
    Him, anti-hero ?
    How about the Stainless Steel Rat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I suppose it'd be wrong to say Humbert from Lolita? (joking of course)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

moriarty!
    melkor!

Julius Caesar in the Asterix comics. He was always fairly slick, and it was really just his incompetent centurious in Gaul that let him down. The Soothsayer in Asterix and the Soothsayer was a bit devious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

Judas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tonymontana

Dr Zhivago?

Never really understood his character

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suppose it'd be wrong to say Humbert from Lolita? (joking of course)
    Why joke? I was going to suggest him before I remembered Yossarian :)

This doesn't really concern literature, but would anyone consider Vinny out of the 1992 film "My cousin Vinny" as a villain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

Like the suggestion of Julius Caesar from Asterix

I reckon for sheer consistency, it has to be Satan from Paradise Lost. the guy you hate to love... for centuries and centuries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Vindici from Revenger's Tragedy for me. :D

I really liked this play and the film version with Christopher Ecclestone and Eddie Izzard was very......interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Richelieu

just finished Notes from the underground.
    narrator of that has to figure pretty highly too I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

For me, it has to be David Gemmell's Waylander - an assassin that has spent his life committing evil, but is given a chance at redemption. A classic anti-hero.

The end of the third Waylander book is particularly poignant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

My favourite anti-hero is Túrin Turamabar of The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. (My username is the name of Túrin's father Húrin Thalion, another great character). That tale is the saddest I have ever read.

Unbeknownst to him, Túrin and his sister Nienor are cursed by Morgoth. Túrin brings sorrow to all around him wherever he goes, despite trying to do good. Due to the spells of the dragon Glaurung they marry without recognising each other. It ends in suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Surprised nobody (including myself in my earlier post) mentioned Vetinari, a tyrant's tyrant, man is that guy cool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Dorian Grey... lovely chap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love the Targaryens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I love hannibal. Also Lestat from the anne rice books and th emain character from american psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I was thinking of buying 'hero of our time'.Is it good? I saw the review in the Irish times. What book is this Yossarin character from?
    The only real anti-hero I know is Raskolnikov. It is amazing how the book depicts his descent into madness, I really liked his character. How it just got worse and worse for him. I really liked his interviews with Pyotr Petrovich (the detective?), I was so enthralled I almost felt like I was being accused of murder.

Well he is the only literary Anti-hero I know, but an excellent one at that. Anyone agree?

Patrick Bateman also deserves an honourable mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Gulliver Foyle - Tiger! Tiger! (The Stars My Destination)

Advertisement