Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World €499 Laptop?

Options
  • 06-12-2005 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of getting this? What's the deal with Celeron? Is it ok for basic word/excel/internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

yes, but not much else... and if you're running anti-virus and the welath of windows processes microsft run int he background, combined with the 256mb of ram in thsi... the system would be quite slow to respond when you open programs, edit photo's etc... web use and documentation would be all I;d advise - wouldnt like to open a large spreadsheet with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

Have a Dell laptop with similar specs (1.4 Celery 256 Ram)

Is ideal for "normal" stuff. I use F-Secure AV, and it has no issues. It boots as fast as my 2.8 GHZ desktop with 768 Mbs, and programs like Word are just as responsive.

Personally I wouldnt buy from PC World, but at the price you cant complain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maidhc wrote:
    Personally I wouldnt buy from PC World, but at the price you cant complain.
    ditto
    anyway you can buy more RAM elsewhere later on, probably for a lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

maidhc wrote:
    Personally I wouldnt buy from PC World, .

WHY?

• Advertisement

I have often bought (on impulse) stuff like keyboards from them, but with a laptop I would prefer to spend an extra €150/200 and get a Dell with a 3yr NBD warranty.

But then I need my laptop to be there all day, everyday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WHY?
    aftersales service or rather the lack of it.

Dell have a similar €429 laptop ( inspiron 1300 ) - but 31 delivery and VAT on top of that ,three year cover on it is another 110 + VAT ?

no idea how much PC world = Dixons = Currys would charge for extra cover/insurance but it's a real cash cow for them

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

aftersales service or rather the lack of it.

Dell have a similar €429 laptop ( inspiron 1300 ) - but 31 delivery and VAT on top of that ,three year cover on it is another 110 + VAT ?

no idea how much PC world = Dixons = Currys would charge for extra cover/insurance but it's a real cash cow for them
    Thanks for the replies folks, just visited Dell and saw the €429 laptop, which is now €549 (inc. VAT/standard 1 year back-up!). Add delivery of €60 and that makes €609.00

I'm sorry but I just can't justify €60 for delivery. It's far too much especially when only spending €550 or so. That's over 10% add-on :eek:

Anywho, it may have to be Dell, as I saw a review of a similar Advent laptop on PCWorld.co.uk which said appx. 1 hour battery life!! Sure you'd hardly get the thing up and running... ;)

It's for my flatmate anyway, which makes it harder to decide cos I wouldn't want to convince him to get a dud.

I'm sorry but I just can't justify €60 for delivery. It's far too much especially when only spending €550 or so. That's over 10% add-on :eek:

Agreed, I sent them an email last week offering to buy a laptop for €700 if they dramatically reduced the delivery charge. I live in Cork, it doesnt cost €60 to deliver. I even offered to collect it. :)

No would do, but I reckon I just got an awkward sales rep. Most will negotiate with you (especially on the warranty). I bought a latitude D610 from the outlet after. Cost €800, but with a 3yr warranty and 1.86 Ghz P-M.

Dell cover you for 12 mths anyway (so they say anyway, but I have never actually tested their bona fides), but you have to pay shipping each way with the 90day warranty (which they said costs €30.. so much for €60 one way witht the new system.)

The Inspiron 2200 (the model before the 1300) lasts about 2.5 hours with screen at maximum and wireless on. If you can get the upgraded 6 cell battery it might be worth it though.

maidhc wrote:
    ...but you have to pay shipping each way with the 90day warranty (which they said costs €30.. so much for €60 one way witht the new system.)
    I love it :D Cost to them €30. Cost to us €60!!
    'We will make a profit on selling you the laptop, and then sure what the hell, we'll make some more on the delivery. Sure you're only Irish people, you don't mind paying extra for everything!'

• Advertisement

Not quite as bad as the RyanAir 50c fares where you still have to pay for a baggage handling surcharge if you only have hand baggage but along the same lines.

Just to update you all, PC World were sold out everywhere on those laptops so he ended buying a €579 Advent from them. We set it up last night on my wireless network at home and all works fine. Not a bad machine at all for that price! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Just to update you all, PC World were sold out everywhere on those laptops so he ended buying a €579 Advent from them. We set it up last night on my wireless network at home and all works fine. Not a bad machine at all for that price! :)

I see they have 2 Advent's for €579, and I'm thinking of picking one up myself. which one did you go for and is it built in wireless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I saw the Advent (7081?) in Dixons today for €579. Remember if PCWorld don't have something "consumer", complete the evil triangle and try Dixons and Currys if nearby...

I picked up one of the 7082 (Sempron 2800+ widescreen 512mb/40gb) recently for €699 which I think is a steal. I was told they were out of stock in PCWorld and Currys, but when I completed the evil triangle in Dixons, I got the guy to check the stock list - and guess what PCWorld did actually have them in stock - so I went over and got one. It was in Blanch so they're all pretty near each other thankfully.

I have to say that the 7081 looked pretty cwap at €699 compared to the 7082 (which was reduced from €949) - so now that they've reduced it to €579 its definitely worth a look if you're in the market.

D.

dazberry wrote:
    I was told they were out of stock in PCWorld and Currys, but when I completed the evil triangle in Dixons,
    Just a reminder that all three are part of same company and managers specials and sale prices/discounts may refer to one of the other stores not necessarily the one the product is on sale in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

A mate of mine got that €579 laptop from PCW. I set it up for him. Very nice little thing. Great for the price, does everything you want except play games.

TinCool wrote:
    I see they have 2 Advent's for €579, and I'm thinking of picking one up myself. which one did you go for and is it built in wireless ?
    Nope, no wireless, but he got a belkin PCI card and it does the job (€35). I set it up for him last week and no complaints so far. Well, other than the battery life.

Sorry, I dont know the model number :o

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

How bad is the battery life? Also I was told it had quite a load fan, any comment?

Thanks
    Timeout

Advertisement