Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram for Elitegroup 848P-A motherboard

Options
  • 06-12-2005 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

hi all, first off sorry for posting in here.. its the closest to a hardware forum i could find on the site..

ok here is the story... i bought 1GB of Ram for my pc but its the wrong type, im allowed to return it for an exchange but i need to know what ram i need...

my pc is a self built one, i used an Elitegroup 848P-A motherboard and i cant remember what type of ram i put in when i built it.. i know its 256mb of pc2700 ram with 184 pins.. thats all
    dont know if its dimm sodimm, sdram, ddram. all that stuff is foreign to me..

i bought 1gb of pc2700 184 pin ram last week, but when i enter it i just get a long beep.. and no monitor

can somone please tell me what type of ram i need to be looking for

below i have attached a pic of the current Working ram i have in the pc 256mb.. front and back..
    and then the 1gb non working chip i just bought fron and back...

256mb 184pin Working ram
    256mb7ee.jpg

1GB 184pin non working ram
    1gb1fy.jpg

please any help would be great.. if you need any more info please reply and i will see what info i can dig up...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

according to that site.. the chip i bought should work fine...
    it suggested DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 184 pin ram... thats what i bought.. but the chip looks different to the one i bought.. are there different types?? cos if im sending this back i need to know excactly what kind to ask for as a replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

check the manual of the mobo if you still have it.
    it might only support single sided chips,
    failing that,
    can you test the ram in another pc before sending it back?
    it might just be a faulty stick

yea i was thinking it might be something to do with the double sided chip..

the manual says...
    This Motherboard accomodates two 184-pin 2.5v unbuffered Double Data rate (DDR) Sdram memory Modules. It can support DDR200/DDR266/DDR333/DDR400 memory modules and allow up to 3.2 GB/s data transfer rate

You must install at least one module in any of the two slots, Each module can be installed with 32mb to 1gb of memory; total capacity is 2GB
    Can you make sence of that...

cheers

just noticed also.. there is a not in the manual....

"This Mainboard supports unbuffered DDR SDRAM only. do not attempt to insert any other type of DDR SDRAM into the slots"

how can i tell if that double sided chip i posted a pic of is UNBUFFERED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have you tried the ram in the other slot?
    sometimes only one slot supports the double sided chips.

i cant find anythin in the manual about single or doublke chips tho.

can you post the make/moidel of the new ram?

i tryed it in both slots.. no joy.. when i tryed the chip on its own it just gave a long beep in both slots... but when i entered it aswell as my 256 chip the pc booted fine but it never detected the 1GB chip..

here i will post the link to the auction that i won it on... there is some info on it there...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6825813947

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

here i will post the link to the auction that i won it on... there is some info on it there...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6825813947

ah ok its an ebay jobby... i would definitly recommend trying it in a different pc first, possibly the stick of ram is faulty

my mate has a dell computer.. about 2 years old.. would it work in that if i test it.... cos i dont want to test it in a pc it wont work in either... cos then i would be none the wiser...

my mate has a dell computer.. about 2 years old.. would it work in that if i test it.... cos i dont want to test it in a pc it wont work in either... cos then i would be none the wiser...

never mind his uses rdram...

anyone any other ideas on the 2 pics i posted.. did i order the right ones but just get a dud? or by looking at them pics have i ordered the wrong type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭jhegarty

both look like the same 184pin rd-ram to me...

must be a dud...

jhegarty wrote:
    both look like the same 184pin rd-ram to me...

must be a dud...

cheers john... i sent it back yesterday for a refund.. im just gonna get it in PC world.. safer cos its only down the road if i have any bother... :eek:

im just gonna get it in PC world.. safer cos its only down the road if i have any bother... :eek:

noooooo.... so expensive there, can u not order off komplett or something?

gline wrote:
    noooooo.... so expensive there, can u not order off komplett or something?

are they reliable? i just dont want to have to wait another 2 weeks for shipping to get another dud....
    the reason i was considering pc world, was just to have it over and done with.. no more waiting and waiting just for a dud too arrive

no seriuously man komplett are fine, u should have it in about 2-3working days... very fast and reliable they are.. as long as it is in stock there is no problems

hmmmm komplett are 50 quid cheaper on the gig than pc world.. im tempted

hmmmm komplett are 50 quid cheaper on the gig than pc world.. im tempted

do it man, dont give those ripoff bas*ards your money (pcworld)

Advertisement