Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should we go? Limerick or Galway?

Options
  • 06-12-2005 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi Everybody,

A week ago me and a friend went to Galway for the weekend, just to go out and have some fun. We quite liked it out there, the pubs were quite nice. We liked it that much that we are coming back in the weekend of the 6th of january. But we want something else! We came across Limerick quite fast, because it's so close to the Airport (Shannon) so we wondered if there are some nice pubs (with live bands? not the traditional kind, we will find them ourselves, but the more modern bands!) in Limerick. Or is Galway better?

So which city would you recommend, Galway of Limerick?

This time we are travelling with 7 people and are from the Netherlands so we're also wondering if there are some good hostels in Limerick!

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

First off hooray for holland, I am 2nd generation dutch.

Secondly as someone from Limerick I am going to say Limerick is better lol.

Best place to go for good live Music is Dolans on the Dock Road, plus it has great food and generally great crowd.

Check Dolans Gig listings for update to schedules.

http://www.dolans.ie/event.html

Best of luck with your trip and defo choose Limerick it rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

OK, your posting in the Limerick forum, so ppl are gonna say Limerick!
    But http://www.hostels.com/en/ie.mu.li.html for Limerick hostels

and there are plenty of rock acts playing in Limerick, its almost famous for it! Hell U2 won there first record deal in a pub in limerick, if it wasnt for limerick, we wouldnt have U2!!!
    Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

well im sure the vast majority of people are going to vote for there own city
    but when it comes down to it for me personally i like limerick more
    its bigger for a start meaning it has more things to do but galway has a lot of that touristy stuff if your into that kind of choice
    but seeing as you've been to galway already definetely go to limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

There a quite a few pubs and clubs in limerick, that play all different types of music. Galway is great craic too great atmosphere.
    also check out
    http://www.trinityrooms.ie/ [In Limerick] there are some good gigs on there too
    Dolans is good also

For bigger gigs have a look at http://www.ticketmaster.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Both very different cities, Galway is more touristy, and probably has better hostels and pubs.
    Limerick has better shopping and restaurants. Would recomment trinty rooms as nightclub and definately would recommend Dolans as a pub and concert venue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 snempaa

First of all thanks for all the replies!
    I think it's going to be Limerick, so we can judge both cities ourself!
    We'll definately check out Dolans and many more! Can anybody tell me at what time the pubs close? and if the nightclubs will still be open by then?

Thanks!

Pub closing times:
    Monday to wednesday 11.30pm
    Thursday to Saturday 12.30
    Sunday 11.00 or 11.30pm depending
    Clubs close about 3ish depending where you go
    Wouldnt you we are irish :D

If you want to stay somewhere really nice try http://www.clarionhotellimerick.com/

if you have a smaller budget try
    http://www.jurys.com/

dont know of any hostels to recommend, but both of the above hotels are not really pushed about how many stay in a room.

I think we'll just stick to a hostel, we need to keep it cheap;) We got the flight for just 15euro return ticket (including taxes and supplements). That's why we can go there just for the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

take it from a mayo man go to the lim its way better the galway people are stuck up there own arse while most of the lims are easy going and freindly. i love the place 1.its way bigger than galway even though the galway people think galway is but limerick is way bigger its better for shopping and the chicks arent half bad plus ur not far from cork either

Ye should try and see some of the countryside in Clare and Tipperary, a hike up Keepers hill looking down on Lough Derg is a great way to spend a morning, a few warm-up pints in Killaloe is never a bad idea.
    The Burren in winter is worth a look, the Atlantic Ocean and the Clare coast make for spectacular viewing.

• Advertisement

That's sounds great, but we just have 44hours in Ireland and we don't have a car. We arrive at 11am on friday and fly back at 7am on sunday!
    I've seen the burren in the summer and it was quite nice! Also went to the galway region two years ago, Cong, Clifden, Maam, Outherard and all. Also really nice! Also been to Kerry once, but the dutch people were everywhere over there!

Another question, is it possible and nice to visit the Guinness brewery (maybe for another trip;))?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I thought the guiness brewery was in Dublin. I know theres a guiness building in Limerick on O'Curry street but I don't think it is the touristy type of place, just a distribution depot.

If it is the one to dublin your on about then you might have to consider it on another trip.

I'd say you'd need another trip to visit the Guinness Brewery, unless you plan to spend a day in Dublin this time round.

I'd say you'd need another trip to visit the Guinness Brewery, unless you plan to spend a day in Dublin this time round.

Yeah I know, that's why I wrote it behind the sentence (I knew it was in Dublin, but just wanted to know if it's a fun thing to do, but i'll try that in the dublin forum;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Limerick is fantastic place and so is Galway..
    But the night life is definitely better in Galway and so is the shopping.
    it must be said though the female talent in Limerick is the best in Ireland and much more approachable..seriously..:D

I've never heard anyone say the shopping is better in Galway, the nightlife is a given. Think Galway is a great town too, the OP could always spend one night in each town, it's not like they're far apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Limerick is fantastic place and so is Galway..
    But the night life is definitely better in Galway and so is the shopping.
    it must be said though the female talent in Limerick is the best in Ireland and much more approachable..seriously..:D
    i wouldnt say the shopping is better in galway but thats my opinion

snempaa wrote:
    I think we'll just stick to a hostel, we need to keep it cheap;) We got the flight for just 15euro return ticket (including taxes and supplements). That's why we can go there just for the weekend!

who are you flying with and from where, wouldnt mind going back to holland if its that cheap?

irishguy wrote:
    who are you flying with and from where, wouldnt mind going back to holland if its that cheap?

Shannon Airport, with RyanAir, www.ryanair.com. This week only, they also lowered their taxes, so a single flight would cost you 7,50 (1cent for the flight, 4.99 taxes, 2.50 creditcard supplement). Try to find a flight of 1 cent somewhere in january or februari.
    We are flying from/to the dutch/german border, a small airport called "Airport Niederrhein" , Weeze. But it's called Dusseldorf on the ryanair site (it's 70km from dusseldorf, and 2km from holland!)
    Good luck:)

Holy crap is that true , I never knew that I will keep that in mind when I next go to holland.

• Advertisement

would it be hard to get Amsterdam/De Hauge/Rotterdam by train or bus?

No you would easily get the train from arnhem or nijmegen to the bigger cities.

Indeed, the train from Venlo or Nijmegen are neirby, but the (small) problem is the road between the airport (on german ground) to one of the trainstations. There is no bus service between the airport and anywhere in holland. We walked across the border last time, but that wasn't the best idea. You can take a cab (but it's also 15euro!! same as the flight) to nijmegen from the airport terrain.

The offer at ryanair just expired, the taxes are at normal levels again, so the price of a return ticket is 31euro again (not that much, but it's twice the price of 15;))

Advertisement