Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton and Spybot

Options
  • 06-12-2005 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Ok, 2 of the most useless programs i've ever used.

There is stuff on my PC. Virus files and spyware. Just from months of not formatting.

Anyway. I run Norton Antivirus, and it picks up like 14 infections in different places. Mostly in the cookies.

It can only cleans 1. And then it quarenteens the rest. And can't delete them.

Spybot, pics up about 3 pieces of spyware. Which i know i have more then.

What Antivirus software would you recommend? and what Spyware removal tools would you recommend?

I'm sick of having to click a link 8 times to get the actual page i want, and not pr0n.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Ad-aware for your anti spy
    AVG for your anti virus

both can be found via google

Surprised your having problems with spybot - usually does the job ok but as for that Norton Trojan installer software - well it may as well be as it doesn't stop them...

You may also consider switching to an Internet Browser and not use your Update Utility as thats what Internet Explorer is and more than likely the reason behind most if not all the infections you have. (Yes I know I.E. is 'Supposed' to be an internet browser - notice I said 'Supposed'?).

Changing to Opera or Firefox along with Ad-Aware, AVG, Zone Alarm should give you a higher level of protection and all for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

avast! anti-virus has found stuff spybot and avg didnt and removed them, id recommend you try that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i run avast and avg - they don't cause any conflict. as for anyi-spyware software, i run: adaware, spyware doc and spybot. up untill recently spyware doc was by far the best, but with the update of the programme it now only seems to telly you that spyware is present and you need to upgrade, i.e. buy, to remove. i digress.......

in my opinion the best free protection can be achieved from:

avast! and/or avg,
    ad-aware and spybot (very surprised you don't like this),
    zonealarm,
    firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

you're a bit paranoid to be running avast and avg at the same time. From my experience avast clears up more spyware and viruses than avg so i would use avast.You could also try bitDefender.
    Use firefox and common sense and you shouldnt get much if any spyware/viruses on your machine.

Advertisement