Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Info does an ISP keep about your surfing habits?

Options
  • 06-12-2005 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Howdy.
    I was just reading about a couple who had their hotmail accounts hijacked and the talk turned to ISP and internet security. What exactly does your ISP save about your surfing habits. I doubt its everything you download since my last ISP would have about 500Gb stashed away somewhere. Any ideas? I'm not sure i like the idea of the storing all my mails and stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

someone else would know better, but i believe there is data retention for most isps..i have no idea what they record.
    with broadband being used by mostly everyone, i think such a law would be difficult & expensive to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

They just keep a log of where you visit not the actual data.

Most ISPs use a transparent proxy to help reduce bandwidth usage and its trivial to enable logging to record the source and destination IPs

If its something that is of concern contact Digital rights Ireland http://www.digitalrights.ie/

They'll be able to give you the complete lowdown on how it works and what the data retension entails.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

http://www.digitalrights.ie/2005/12/
    Next Tuesday, the 13th of December, the European Parliament will vote on a Data Retention Directive. This proposes to extend data retention to the Internet, and will result in your ISPs logging every email you send, every web page you visit, and everything else you do online and storing that information for several years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

they keep a log of every site u visit ,time,and date , and record of time location of txt and all your phone calls,new data retention laws were brought in 2 years ago ,they are the most stringent in eu,,they have to hold onto info 4 three years i think,so its not a gud idea to go to certain sites even out of curiousity,idea is to stop gangs or terrorists groups using the net for communication or propaganda purposes or subversion of the state,,,i presume.thats how they cought realira,thru following telecom records .site details plus pages u visit,all urls of every single site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

like have the isp's already started tracking our activities yet or do they have to wait for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'd say they're doing it now.

An innocent man has nothing to fear from the police...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

rsynnott wrote:

Unless he lives in a mad, fascist dictatorship, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

rsynnott wrote:

Or unless someone takes over his machine and uses it to go to x,y and z. Then he's screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Indeed. And that makes evidence collected in this way difficult to use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

The Directive mandates that EU member states, including Ireland, are to track the location of all mobile phones, all calls made from land lines and mobile phones, as well as all information on individuals’ internet and email usage. This will include keeping records of all web sites visited, the senders and recipients of all emails and the use of any other Internet Protocol (IP) based communication such as the increasingly popular Voice over IP (VoIP) phone providers such as Skype.

he who is treated like a criminal soon becomes one

I wish I wasnt so correct when I say that the fourth reich is around the corner :(

Advertisement