Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended for New Reader

Options
  • 06-12-2005 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

My wife has got out of the habit of reading books over the last few years and fo Christmas I wanted to buy her a good book that would bring her back to the joy of reading.

Any recommendations out there for books that she may enjoy, but are not too heavy going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd recommend Audrey Niffeneger's "The Time Traveller's Wife". Beautifully written and quite an engaging story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SpittingImage

Any of Paulo Coelho's books.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Sleepy wrote:
    I'd recommend Audrey Niffeneger's "The Time Traveller's Wife". Beautifully written and quite an engaging story.

YES!!!!!

first book i thought of when i saw this thread to be honest...

also : "the poisonwood bible" by barbara kingsolver

i gave those two to my girlfriend to read - she had been out of the reading habit for ages too, now she goes to the library twice a month and buys nearly as many books as i do.

both top notch reads, and both are the sort of books that could only ever really work AS books eg it would be pretty pointless making movies etc of them - reminds you what a unique lpeasure an interesting well written book can do for your mind and your heart imo...

and no offence to SpittingImage, but don;t let the poor woman anywhere near any paolo ceolo books... that pseudo intellectual soft focus bilge would probably put the poor woman off reading for life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

• Advertisement
Advertisement