Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Fare Hikes for Christmas has begun(report how much extra you were charged here)

Options
  • 06-12-2005 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

The old limerick tradition of taxi companies ****ing over the customer at Christmas time is in effect again this year. seems to be getting earlier and earlier every year)

If anyone has reports of what is being added by different companies they can post it here to warn others.

For the moment heres one I came accross today

Treaty Cabs (415566) adding €1 to their fairs.

here is the thread from last year so as to give you an idea as to what to expect from each company. If Tom Hannan charges what he charged last year he can eat my dust.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=210825&highlight=taxi+fares+limerick+christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

have University cabs been established for a while? i got a leaflet in my door the other day saying they are especially for university students and do good deals around xmas (they didnt specify though...). if this company *is* new and not being confused in my mind with uni-cabs (are they different?) then i think it might be wise to try them out. they mightnt want to alienate new customers by doing a price hike while starting out. of course they could be around along time, im not sure. can anyone shed any light? their no is 323323

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

Get a Taxi cause their fares a controlled by the city Council so the taxis cant do a fare increase them selves (cant be ripped off) :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

mike

The situation in Limerick is a strange one. you have taxi companies offering fixed price fares to compete with the hackney companies. The clever thing is, while the rates on the meter is controlled by City Council, for a taxi driver to charge below what is on the meter is illegal.

If you get into a cab, with a plate on it's roof, and your journey is below the seven mile radius from the GPO, then it is illegal for that taxi driver to have "for hire" on his meter.

It is the company which rents the radio who controls the fares in Limerick, even the Taxis, and if the company wants to throw a euro or two on to the fares then they usually do.

just two more to add.

313131 are addint €2 to fares, and 414141 have added €1.50

heard a story today that a woman who needs to get a cab to the regional every day for radiotherepy for the next six weeks is being charged the christmas fare. don't know the company yet but when I find out I will make a show of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

Gotta love Limerick Cabbies Caherdavin to Roxboro road last week 6.50 and lo and behold 10 sobs this week daylight robbery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

City centre to Raheen or from Raheen to City centre can range
    anything between 6:50 to 12.00 Normally.

The supposed fixed rate seems to have all these ways out for drivers.
    Its only fixed rate if your phone in but it you flag one down they
    stick you on the meter or charge whatever they bloody like.

I have found most of the bases for the fixed price cabs are gone so
    you can Ring in but you cannot walk in to an office. It basically
    means if your in town you end up getting into one of the cabs
    parked at the ranks who will sc*ew you over big time.

When you sit into the cab I see them fiddle and add on money before
    you even move. I see if you read the charges. They can add on extra cash
    if you have a bag (they dont specify what type of bag) they
    can add on more cash if there is more than one person in the car, they can
    add on more cash if you have a pet in a cage with you etc etc

christmas and New years is a total joke. I remember one new year eve
    I could not get a cab so I decided to walk to my (now ex) girlfriends house
    from Raheen to Roxboro road. I sprained my ankle and managed to hobble
    to Xtravision dooradoyle where at the time there was a cab company working
    from where the indian/thai restraunt is. Even though I was in the office
    and got the cab from there the driver charged me 25 pounds at the time,
    and got fairly hostile when I argued with him.

~B

I would love to know where you paid 6.50 from town to raheen.

also just to add Tower(444444) are are only charging €1.50 this year extra as opposed to their €2 last year

treaty still the lowest price increase at €1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

313131 Charge 6.50 from Raheen/Dooradoyle to town if you Ring them.
    (Thats not their christmas prices though)

My girlfriend travels up from Cork on Thursdays and gets the Cabs directly
    outside the Train station she has always got charged Ten Euros or More.
    (on the meter)
    I got charged 14.50 (again on the metre) from the Railway station to
    the Top of Fr. Russell Rd in Dooradoyle a few weeks ago.

~B

i suggest you cross panell street and go to the treaty cabs base on Davis street in future when leaving the station.

Was charged €21 from town to raheen during the day on Friday. I was always under the pimpression that rate 2 on meters did not start until 10 pm. and friday was not a bank holiday.

don't you know the receipt machine was out of paper.

have the plate number of the cab and will be checking with psv office in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

was charged 32 yoyo to shannon ind est a week before xmas...was not happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zipperhead

I had the pleasure of calling "one of limericks finest" taxi companies 313131 on friday night just gone....now I know it was around 9pm & obviously the fag hoarse woman who answered me must have had a bad day BUT COME ON... I call them regularly for the last 4 years or at least did...my New Years resolution is NEVER AGAIN I WILL WALK IN FUTURE. I was absolutely furious at how this woman spoke to me I ordered my cab & was met by an hour or longer I replied "no problem" and was met by a response of "Well if you have a problem call someone else & fares are up E1.50 slam of the fone. On my way into town I could then hear this woman making absolutely disgraceful comments over the air. Whatever about the wait & fare increase but can someone please explain to me...how do you complain.. I rang the next evening around 5.30 to express my utter disbelief (Nicer toned person)...even left my number & have'nt heard a word.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

very nice guy this morning in the cab to raheen. he charged without meter just 8.50 EURO. i think it was 414141.

some drivers don't bother with the increases. others can be greedy feckers. 8.50 is a reasonable price for a bank holiday to raheen.

Most if not all fares should be returning to normal tomorrow. so will unsticky this, but will leave open in case there is any cowboys out there trying to milk a few extra days out of the christms period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

the cost of travel never ceases to amaze me .....

32.00 euro's to Shannon by taxi !!! ..... :(

a gal I know popped over to Luton recently with Ryanair and the fare was 1 cent(one cent) for Shannon> Luton ..... :cool:

SkyNews today quoted a return day train fare, Manchester/London at 200.00 stg - call it 300.00 euro :eek: (for a bleedin train journey)

Advertisement