Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best Stephen King film adaptation?

Options
  • 06-12-2005 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Stephen King has written so many great and scary stories throughout his career and many were turned into movies, some better than others.

The likes of "The Langoliers" or "Nightflyer" were crap, while "The Shining" or "The Green Mile" are masterpieces. What is your favourite one/are your favourite ones?

Mine are:
    The Shining
    The Green Mile
    Dreamcatcher
    It
    Shawshank Redemption
    Stark
    Firestarter
    Dolores
    Cujo
    Carrie

While among the worst would be:
    Christine
    Salem

There are too many but I tried to put the best known into the poll

What is your favourite Stephen King (based) movie? 32 votes

The Shining
    0% 0 votes
    Carrie
    50% 16 votes
    Green Mile
    0% 0 votes
    Dreamcatcher
    3% 1 vote
    The Stand
    0% 0 votes
    It
    6% 2 votes
    Dolores
    3% 1 vote
    Cujo
    0% 0 votes
    Shawshank Redemption
    0% 0 votes
    Sleepwalkers
    37% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

It's been years since I read any of his books, but the one that still stands out is The Shining. I remember really enjoying The Stand, but that could have just been relief at finishing it cause it was so bloody long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is the Stand worth reading ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

has to be The Running man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Stand by me, Shawshank, Salems Lot, Pet Semetary and definately IT.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd go for "The Dead Zone" personally (the film with Christopher Walken, not the tv miniseries), closely followed by "The Shining".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Not horrors as such but shawshank,green mile and stand by me float my boat..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

The Dead Zone is an absolute cracker. Saw it there again a few months back and loved it all over again. great film. Loved the Book Needful Things but the film with Ed Harris was crap. I'd say the Stand is worth a read if you can get through it. I did like the TV movie too. First half is much better than the 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Shawshank, Stand by Me and The Shining are the three best in my opinion.

Very worthy are... Carrie, The Stand, Misery, It and Pet Cemetary.

Most under-rated King related film is his Emilio Estevez starring horror epic Maximum Overdrive with soundtrack by AC/DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

pet semetary is great. I liked christine too. and Cujo and The Shining... it goes on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I voted for the Shining.. but Cujo was a good natural horror if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Hey, Christine was good!

Carrie, apart from certain scenes, was bad/boring overall.

I voted for The Shining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I've never read a Stephen King book and I can safely say I don't like any of the 'horror' adaptations I've seen (including the wildly overrated The Shining and Carrie) but that said I think Stand By Me, Dolores Claibourne and the Shawshank Redemption are classic movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Hey, Christine was good!

"Possession became an obsession!" Yeah good movie! :) The book was great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well, I haven't read many King books, only The Shining in fact so I couldn't really talk about how good an adaption they are....but a couple of great movies there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Shining isn't really a good adaption of the book although it is a great film. My fave film would have to be Dead Zone but since it wasn't there I went for Shawshank.

Christine was disappointing, its probably my favourite Stephen King book, the film didn't really capture what I loved about the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

This was a hard poll for me....

I picked THE SHINING but i love the Shawshank Redemption also!! (And now on the poll I see those 2 have the most votes -- I think it says it all!!)

Advertisement