Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my water tank big enough?

Options
  • 05-12-2005 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Just wondering if there are recommendations/regulations about the capacity of the water tank in the attic.

In our new house, I was a bit alarmed when I saw the size of the water tank. I couldn't find the capacity written on it, so I did a rough measurement and came up with 230 litres (~50 gal). (Found out subsequently the building spec says it's "60-80 gallon", which is a good bit more than my rough measurement). The house is 2,000 sq ft with one standard bath, two manual showers pumped from the hot press, one pumped electric shower, 3 toilets and 3 wash-hand basins.

I went up to the attic in my current 1,000 sq ft 3-bed semi and calculated roughly 190 litres (~40 gal). We currently have one standard size bath, one electric shower and 2 toilets/wash-hand basins.

Maybe it's ok. I just thought it might be a bit bigger. If it's only being asked to handle 2 extra showers and 1 extra toilet/wash-hand basin, I guess the size relative to our current house adds up?

We have a 40 gallon dual immersion cylinder in the new place.

Thanks for any help/reassurance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If I'm reading this right you have a nominal 50 gallon storage tank over a 40 gallon cylinder ?

Personally I would ask for another 50 gallon tank to be married with the existing, it will allow you more storage but will also ensure you have enough pressure to push the hot water out of the cylinder.

Take running a bath, 2 x 3/4 feeds being taken from the storage tank (one via the cylinder) the replacement water is coming in through a 1/2" mains supply.

The old guide was a 60 gal storage tank over a 30 gal copper cylinder, that system worked well for years so I would expect a similar ratio today especially if you use a power shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

My mother lives in a similar setup, 3 showers, toilets and basins, and I'm fairly sure she only has a 50 gallon (maybe 60) tank. The pressure was a bit low, but apparently that was due to the piping, and they needed to get a pump, which helped very slightly.

Pete's probably right about sticking another one with it for better water pressure.

Is your pressure bad?

Advertisement