Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollowcore Ceilings - Good Idea/Bad Idea

Options
  • 05-12-2005 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice/comments on hollowcore ceilings. Are they just a fad or something that should really be considered? How do they compare in terms of price/time and is it worth it all? I intend to self build in the next year and am at planning application stage at the moment. At some of the ideal home type exhibitions I've been at I've got mixed reviews - they are good for noise but can be restrictive on your design (I have a friend who had to make a few small but important design changes to her hall when the hollowcore men told her they couldn't cut certain angles). I realise that they are one of the things that can't be changed afterwards without serious rebuilding, so want to get it right. How costly would they be and what are the other hidden additional costs from electricians and carpenters who have to work around them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi Calluna,

You are looking at about 35-40 euro a square ft for the floor itself. Than depending on your design you may have to build some walls on the flat and any openings over a certain size (think its 1 mtr) will need a RSJ, you may also need rsj's for stair openings and large rooms, than you will need to grout in betwen the joints and you will need acro props until the grout has dryed and all heavy loads are off the floor upstairs ( i.e pallets of blocks).

When you send your plans to the companies they will send you back a drawing of how they propose to lay it out and it will show which walls need to built on the flat and where you will need rsj's.

With regards time to put them in, it takes less than a day. Unless of course you are building something enormous.

Beat of luck hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Wobs has covered most of the initial and technical details, you will still have to screed the floor, which might be ok if you are using under floor heating upstairs.

The ceiling underneath would be a nightmare to plaster and running electrical services would I think be more expensive, your enginer will have to take the weight factor into account.

An ideal system for Apartment blocks and heavy commercial applications I would think they are hard to justify in a home build.

Advertisement