Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatscreen TVs

Options
  • 05-12-2005 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I don't watch TV as such, at least hardly ever. When I'm watching TV it's mostly to watch a DVD, and almost always with subtitles.

I'm told that them newfangled flatscreen things are damaged by subtitles, and also that they're very delicate, easily ruined if knocked, and also that they wear out after a couple of years. Is any or all of this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Most of the above "can" happen to the plasma models LCD in my mind is a better choice.

1. things are damaged by subtitles -- would mean watching thousands of hours of tv with subtitles wherby the 1/2 lines of subtitles get "burned" onto the screen (plasma only)

2. easily ruined if knocked (Plasma are made of glass afaik and can break easily)

3. wear out after a couple of years - well yes 30000-50000 thousand hours viewing and the picture quality will be seriously degraded. but if you work that out you are talking 10~ years + depending on usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ahh. And the LCD ones are still in the thousands or hundreds, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Yeah but prices are falling all the time. I got a 26" DELL for 455 ex vat on friday but they are all gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Friend got a huge plasma TV, Panasonic, for €1,500 in France. He's happy with it. I'm not buying anything for a while anyway (my current TV is mine since 1989!) Have to study it a bit yet.

Advertisement