Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible wrong forum but...!!

Options
  • 04-12-2005 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone selling a nitro Truck/Buggy ?
    Might buy something for bashing about :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

A full year here and I still don't know if I'm supposed to move these to FS general or leave them here. :)

First person to link to Greenhobbymodels gets a gold star!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Try here Vectra http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks, But
    I really cannot understand the mentallity of people that go to the trouble of setting up a website and not going to the bother of pricing what they have :(

Their mentality is simple: they only want their site to attract customers to their shop to buy products, not to be used for buying products. If they posted all their prices, and then you found somewhere else cheaper, you're going to go to the latter, right? However, if they can drag you in to look at the stuff in person, they can persuade you by offering advise and whatnot.

Still not an excuse, though. ;)

I am afraid I have to disagree with you on that one..
    I got "atracted" to a local hobby shop in pursuit of a T-Maxx for my son.. I was offered all sorts of advise when i went in... until they gave me a price... :eek:
    They wanted over 800 euro... LOL
    You think a T-maxx is fast.. you should have seen me heading for the door.. :D
    So.. My theory is.
    Put the prices on the advertising net. and dont be wasting potential customers time.. ;)

• Advertisement

vectra wrote:
    I am afraid I have to disagree with you on that one..
    I got "atracted" to a local hobby shop in pursuit of a T-Maxx for my son.. I was offered all sorts of advise when i went in... until they gave me a price... :eek:
    You think a T-maxx is fast.. you should have seen me heading for the door.. :D
    So.. My theory is.
    Put the prices on the advertising net. and dont be wasting potential customers time.. ;)

Well, that's why it isn't an excuse, just the mentality.

Of course they *Should* do what your theory states, but they'd rather make some money. Nothing wrong with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

vectra wrote:
    Jesus :eek: Is that a normal price for a hobby shop? Mine was only bout 500 altogether from modelsport.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

A mate in my rc club has a revo for sale 400euro only broke in. Can pm u his name and number . item is in dublin

A mate in my rc club has a revo for sale 400euro only broke in. Can pm u his name and number . item is in dublin
    Go on then ;)

I have to say I'd recommend Green Model& Hobby to anyone, the staff are sound and always have time for you and their prices aren't much different to any other place I have visited in Dublin. Only difference being they always have time to help and are quite knowledgable. That clinches it for me.

• Advertisement

tallus wrote:
    I have to say I'd recommend Green Model& Hobby to anyone, the staff are sound and always have time for you and their prices aren't much different to any other place I have visited in Dublin. Only difference being they always have time to help and are quite knowledgable. That clinches it for me.

It wouldnt be any advantage to me really as I live down in Cork and would be as much of a problem to send it back due to problems etc as it would be to send it to the UK... Only the ones from UK would be considerably cheaper ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

vectra wrote:
    Thanks, But
    I really cannot understand the mentallity of people that go to the trouble of setting up a website and not going to the bother of pricing what they have :(
    Seeing as I have produced some of that particular website, and I'm doing the present modifications to it... I have a couple of the answers to your question. Mind you, you're not obliged to agree with them , of course.

The www.greenhobbymodel.com website used to have fully priced pages...
    I was asked to leave them off the upgraded pages this time ....

1 Full time staff = 2. Stocklist = 2500+ items.
    Workload was horrific keeping prices up to date, and out of date prices were regarded by customers as worse than no prices and a phone number.

2 In many cases the item is modified in this particular shop. that is extra instructions have been produced and added. Sometimes parts have been removed from a "weak product" and tougher parts used to replace them. Buyers on internet NEVER check the spec out enough to value those type of things. But the guys who buy, are happier.

3 Often there are different versions from the same factory, with different standards, but with the same name. Once again, web browser buyers never spot this and buy the cheapest one on the planet. Often they miss out. Here is an example ... the Seagull planes come in standard or deluxe...no difference in label or box. The standard one is covered with cheap covering film that is brittle and tears easily. The deluxe one is printed oracover (profilm) maybe twice at tough far more repairable. The price difference is about €12 - €15. The shop knows no amount of telling people the difference will make the skinflint buy the better one. But the customer who DID buy from Green Hobby will complain if the covering was substandard. So the shop has only sold the higher spec, and the customers who go there know it. There is no obligation to educate those who buy elsewhere and waste time on them that the customers deserve.

4 In the light of the above I was told to make a shop display window on the web. To let the paying customers see what they sell, and have spare parts for, and what they feel is adequate quality to actually use. To explain why they themselves ( and me too) like that particular stuff.

5 The current generation website grew out of the previous website. This imposed practical limitations on what was possible.

So you see .... at the moment www.greenhobbymodel.com is mostly a showcase or shop window, and an introduction to the guys working there, and a view as to what they like and why, and what they use themselves.
    It is a very complete Irish modelling shop, selling by email, but it is not an ebay lowest bid auction warehouse, and not trying to be that.
    That might change in the future, and I filed the comments made here (thanks all ! ) for taking into account in the next review.

BTW vectra, last year while I was there this shop sold trucks at €350 , big brand MTs at €450 - €550 and 1:6 scale gasoline for €875. When the Genesis came out and we heard the price asked from the UK/Ireland suppliers we decided it was not fair to buy or sell at such prices and we wouldnt deal in it. So those crazy price €800 MTs didn't come from Green Hobby to my certain knowledge.

Hope this helps explain how this particular hobby website was done the way it is.
    Coolwings - present webmaster at Green Hobby & Model

Point taken on the above... ;)
    I can see why they chose you to do the website...
    You aint afraid of using the keyboard for sure :eek:

Anyway.
    Could you elaborate on this ?
    big brand MTs at €450 - €550

What make were they ?

vectra wrote:
    Point taken on the above... ;)
    I can see why they chose you to do the website...
    You aint afraid of using the keyboard for sure :eek:
    Sorry for the v-e-r-y l-o-n-g answer.
    It just happened to be something I happened to be well informed on. ;)

Some of those conclusions surprised me at the time.. :p
    vectra wrote:
    Could you elaborate on this ? What make were they ?
    I'll bet they were Carson. The ones there before were CEN, Thunder Tiger, and another I forget. After Carson came there was no need for the others on value grounds. But big marketing internationally meant they were still requested though. The Thunder Tiger was maintained 2 1/2 years for parts, after the last complete ones were sold. Then they were dropped leaving Carson & CEN. It's mainly (nearly all) Carson now.

So, You reckon Carson are good value ?
    Strong?
    Relaible?
    parts freely available ?
    I was thinking on the lines of another T-Maxx Like my sons one.:)

Kinda hard for me to go into that here.....crosses the line I'll bet.
    Fobia would know better than me.
    I suspect its abuse of the forum rules if I make comparisons.
    In the boards, I'm more the general advise guy.
    Talk to Patrick in the shop I suggest.

BTW I remember what the other MT was....flying Point.
    Anybody remember Flying Point? Sold under different names and worked great when parts were available. Then they sorta disappeared a couple of years ago..... I suppose the big guns are hard to keep up with for a smaller car maker. I had an electric Flying Point far a while. Threw it out after I got tired making new tailor made spur gears with casting resin.

I have heard of Flying Point.. They now do a monster truck "Zircon" ;)

Ah ha ! Not gone ... just under new name. :)

coolwings wrote:
    Kinda hard for me to go into that here.....crosses the line I'll bet.
    Fobia would know better than me.
    I suspect its abuse of the forum rules if I make comparisons.

Making comparisons with what? You can make comparisons between which car/manufacturer you think is better, certainly. If that's not what you mean, then I'm left a little confused. :)

OK That was what I meant. Good.
    Often I get to work on someone else's models, a type I have not bought for myself, but I get to repair and then test it. So I have tried out a huge amount of models. That's where the opinions come from, and why I sometimes come over strong. I am just plain big into modelling.

I think it is fair to say there are no bad makes nowadays. But some makes are overpriced.

The best opinion I can have is to actually buy a model with my own money, and be using it. Then there can be no fooling about, I like it, I think it's fairly priced, I bought it.
    I put that info on my own webpages, ( .... the URL is http://uk.geocities.com/norm_flyer/index.htm ) but I was concentrating on planes at the time.

Would a thread where we all say what we are using the most be a good thread?
    The "post a pic of your model" thread is almost this. It shows what is being used here in Ireland by real modellers. That is surely handy for beginners.

Carson - I like them and the prices are ok. Their blue top engines are very good / fast - cost reasonable. To me they're good value.

I am into oddball models at the moment. I will post a thread of two much more unusual home made vehicles I designed/made as soon as I get pics..... wait for it

• Advertisement

OK,
    I think I may have a chance of buying
    A) Traxxas revo ( only run in )
    B) Schumacher Menace ( as above)

I currently race schumacher touring car so i would be biased towards the menace.
    My son has a T-Maxx so i know how good these are..
    Decisions decisions..
    i am not asking which is better..
    but i would like to know which one you fellow modelers would choose ?:rolleyes:

Revo possibly bought .. :D

Bought the revo tonight..
    Mmmm .. what a beauty :D
    Only less than 1/2 a tank of fuel passed through it
    Got 3 litres of 20% fuel with it..
    All in €350 ;)

I am a happy camper now :p

vectra wrote:
    Bought the revo tonight..
    Mmmm .. what a beauty :D
    Only less than 1/2 a tank of fuel passed through it
    Got 3 litres of 20% fuel with it..
    All in €350 ;)

I am a happy camper now :p
    Any chance of a photo ?
    I'm awaiting delivery of a Savage from the UK will post pics as soon as I have it.

tallus wrote:
    Any chance of a photo ?
    I'm awaiting delivery of a Savage from the UK will post pics as soon as I have it.
    I dont have a digi cam at hand... :(
    I will try to sort something if I can for you.
    cheers;)

Advertisement