Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

last 3 films you've seen

Options
  • 03-12-2005 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Briefly review the last 3 films you've seen.

Carlito's Way
    Ok - but certainly not a classic, has some good moments. Don't think i'll be watching it again.

Dazed and confused
    Good - classic teen movie. I've seen it before and i'll certainly watch it again. Good wholesome fun.

Se7en
    Brilliant - first time i've seen it. The philosophy of the movie is brilliant. Cool ending too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 oblian

House of flying daggers
    Excellent story,scenery cannot recommend it more(subtitled)

Oldboy
    If you like movies that fu*k with your head this is your man(subtitled)

Jay and silent bob strike back
    Am a big fan of kevin smiths movies(that have jay and silent bob in them) and this doesnt disappoint.......much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Lord of War: Good enough story (true, I believe) and well shot (pardon the pun!) but the whole package was missing something. Nic Cage was excellent as always.

40 Year old virgin: Excellent! A comedy classic. Had me in tears a few times.

Crash: Best film I have seen in a few years. Fantastic performances and a real "thinker" of a storyline. Been recomending it to everyone and no-one who's taken my advice has been disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Skeleton Key: very slow for the first hour but last half hour of so was actually pretty darn exciting. Still a piss poor ending and some questionable acting from Kate Hudson. Still think Peter Sarsgaard is excellent though.. apart from a hammy performance in 'Flightplan'

Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire: enjoyed some elements of this. While the acting from the three young leads has definantly improved from film to film, the element of fun has slowly evolved into a mixture of adventure with very dark undertones. Still the first and third films are definantly my favourites.

United States Of Leland: was absolutely dying to see this film ever since hearing about it a good year and a half ago now. And after seeing it for an X-clusive in Xtra-Vision, i had to give it a rent. Excellent performances from a stellar cast - Ryan Gosling, Don Cheadle, Kevin Spacey, Jena Malone and Sherilyn Fenn to name just a few. It has an ending that you will either hate or really make you think - one of the best i've seen this year and now added to my Best of 2005 list. Go see it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I love Dazed and Confused
    Last 3 films I saw
    Jaws- Classic Movie, excellent
    Stripes- Bill Murray at his best. Hillarious
    Day after Tomorrow- Pretty good. One of the better disaster movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Doom - not as bad as i thought it'd be... not exactly in the running for my film of the year either, though.

An American Werewolf in London - first time watching it... fairly overrated tbh (Jenny Agutter is ****ing hawt though!)

Lord of War - good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Flightplan...........less said the better.

Transporter 2.........a big meh

Can't remember what was before that, my head has been clouded with average films!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

kiss kiss bang bang.. my favourite movie of the year..

fellowship of the ring.. with the jackson commentary..

ong bak... made no sense, but in an enjoyable way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pen0s

fear and loathing in las vegas - good drugs film that is one of my fave films of all time.some of the things in this film make me laugh just by remembering them! Depp and del toro are pure legends!

Braindead(dead alive) - this film was hilarious at parts , extremly gruesome but i enjoyed it for waht it was:)

A clockwork orange - watched again for the first time in years. has to be one of the best films of all time. has stood the test of time extremly well imho. Macdowell is superb and it has one of those brilliant "i was hoping for that" kind of endings

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

kiss kiss bang bang - one of the best films of the year. Hilarious.

The Constant Gardener - Good performances and camera work hampered by slow, boring simplistic plot.

Serenity - Witty, nice effects, very entertaining. I bought the series after seeing the movie which can only be a good thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Excellent effects but poor story. Didnt see other movies but nothing happened of worth in this film. Entire film made up of a wizard tournament and a 5 minute piece at the end with Voldemort. Hugely disappointing.

King Kong (1933): Pure classic, need I say more. One of my favourite movies and the best movies ever made in my opinion. Lets hope that PJ aca pull off a fantastic remake.

Exorcism of Emily Rose: Highly enjoyable and disturbing at times. Some great acting in this ovie and you wont leave the cinema disappointed. Try to catch it before it leaves the cinema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Infernal Affairs 3:Very good,although not as good as the original
    Deuce Bigalow 2:Pure rubbish
    Exorcism of Emily Rose:Good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Trapped in the Closet - R Kelly's musical masterpiece. Best watched with subtitles on and several cans of beer.

Brothers Grimm - Average. A bit disappointing really because I'm a fan of Terry Gilliam.

The Constant Gardener - Very enjoyable. As someone pointed out, the plot didn't really hold many amazing twists or turns but performances and directing made up for it I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

The 40 Year Old Virgin - bit of a laugh. I quite enjoyed but to be honest it was a bit all over the place in parts.

The Devil's Rejects - good fun, classic 70's style slasher / horror film. Must go and rent House Of A 1000 Corpses now...

Kagemusha - not the best Kurosawa I've seen, found it a little boring in the end. Disappointing though perhaps I just wasn't in the mood...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Jason X : great for a laugh and some gore. Funny scene where teens get killed by bashing them together in sleeping bags.

Unleashed: Half decent Jet Li flick

Prime Cut: Lee Marvin; Gene Hackman! Enjoyable revenge film. Sissy Spacek used to be hot!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang- A really clever and funny movie. tThe movie is really hard to explain so ill just say one word. Excellent!

Doom- To be honest i thought this was a pretty bad movie. I know its not exactly supposed to be a great movie in terms of plot or anything but i felt it was really quite boring. It did pick up a bit towards the end but most of the time it was just them wanderin around and bumping into the odd alien. Some classic lines though "if they're so smart why are they so dead".

The Punisher- I thought this was a good film. The action in it was good and i thought it was an enjoyable movie that u didnt have to think too much about.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang- Go see this movie!

Harry potter 4- Without Gleeson I would have been bored.

Lord of War- Pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ghost Dog
    The wedding crashers
    The muppets Wizard of Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Umbrellas of cherbourg- get this movie and get it now. truly magnificient and completely mad. If you had of asked me what would be the worst film I could imagine I would have described this movie. but I loved it.

Tokyo story-very slowly paced and definately not for everyone, but a rewarding experience nonetheless

Fist of the whit lotus- bit of a departure from the last two I know. Classic shaw bros 80s kung fu action. Kill bill fans will also want to check it out for the addition of pei mei the white eybrowed monk from volume 2 who is one of the main characters in the movie. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

K pax - read the books first which i really enjoyed.i think the film does it justice

saw - Heard so much about it i had to watch it.Its just a big twist of a movie.Best horror/thriller ive seen

Dark side of oz - Highly recommended with intoxicants:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Bad Santa - I laughed, but not a lot.

Downfall - didn't laugh at all, good film, very interesting.

Lord of War - mindless entertainment ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Flight plan....load of B movie blegh!!!!

Harry potter fourth one......brill !!!

get back to ya on the 3rd...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

THX1138 - I love Walter Murch's sound design on this film. It would be nothing without it.
    Wages of Fear - Picture-perfect definition of a thriller
    Zombi, Argento's cut of Dawn of the Dead - Loved the Goblin soundtrack. Not sure if I liked the action emphasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Dog Soldiers-really good, very similar to the Descent,same director

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire-Saw it while on Hoilday in New York on Imax, great Film but not as good as Prisoner of Azakban

The Brothers Grimm-not as bad as everyone is saying I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

1. Bad Santa - Pretty funny, but wouldn't go back to see it again, thought it was a bit on the predictable side.

2. Creep - Wasn't half bad actually

3. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - have it on dvd, hilarious I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Batman Begins- Simply fantastic

Saw- Scared the crap out of me:eek: (damn that clown puppet)

Dodgeball- Just too funny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Cujo: Rabid dog, pretty good film!

The Exorcism of Emily Rose: Good, quite freaky. i liked it.

Kill Bill Volume 2: loved it. great movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Deuce Bigalo European Gigalo - was'nt great. Much the same lines as the first one, with the odd chuckle here and there. Some obvious and silly jokes that would get the odd chuckle. If you like police academy you may go for this one.

Old Boy - Very impressive film. Heard good things about it here so had to buy. Don't want to say much about it but stick with it. There was once or twice I kind of got lost and it was over-dubbed (annoyingly), so I was tempted to just press stop. Thought the guy who played the brother/baddie (can't remeber his name) was a very good actor. The ending got you thinking about all that happened previously and making sense of the film. Not a bad thing for a movie to do.

Jurassic Park 3 - love that film, think its the best out of the 3. As per usual there are great CGI's. The story/plotline is basic (as per these films) but for about 30 mins in the movie non-stop action. If its a Sunday afternoon, with no football on, you can't go wrong with this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sorry for going off topic but just a small comment about this thread.

It seems to be turning into one of those spammy threads where poeple just write a coupld of words and thats it. Maybe people should write at least 2 lines or so of a review to give others a better idea as to what the film was actually like.

Just a suggestion of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Kingp35 wrote:

It seems to be turning into one of those spammy threads where poeple just write a coupld of words and thats it. Maybe people should write at least 2 lines or so of a review to give others a better idea as to what the film was actually like.

Indeed, and many a moderator have decided these kind of threads are spammy and pointless, myself included, as I've included a rule in the Rock/Metal board charter against such threads. I do hope to do up a new charter for the films board though, so I thought untill I've actually got it up in the rules I'll leave it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kingp35 wrote:

Agreed!

Model post! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement