Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spybot - What does it do?

Options
  • 03-12-2005 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

I update my Spybot Serach and Destroy about once a week with new definitions. I then run a Check for Problems. Every time it lists about 7 or 8 items such as Value Click, Mediaplex, Fastclick, Advertising.com, B Fast etc. I the select Fix Selected problems (and I select them all) Spybot creates a restore point, and the reports that x number of probelms have been fixed.
    If I check for problems again immediately afterwards the same problems are reported again. It might take 3 or 4 Fix Selected Problems before I get the Congratulations you have no immediate threats.

Anyone else experience this, and where do these bloody things come from in the first place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I update my Spybot Serach and Destroy about once a week with new definitions. I then run a Check for Problems. Every time it lists about 7 or 8 items such as Value Click, Mediaplex, Fastclick, Advertising.com, B Fast etc. I the select Fix Selected problems (and I select them all) Spybot creates a restore point, and the reports that x number of probelms have been fixed.
    If I check for problems again immediately afterwards the same problems are reported again. It might take 3 or 4 Fix Selected Problems before I get the Congratulations you have no immediate threats.

Anyone else experience this, and where do these bloody things come from in the first place

They are cookies that appear when you surf the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bobt

To be honest m8 spybot is not one of the best programs for getting rid of all the c*ap you can pick up surfing the net these days and it doesent stop what it does get rid of from reappearing. You need a program that will get rid of everything and also stops them from reappearing like spyware doctor or something similar but its probably going to cost you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lavasoft Ad-aware does the job for me I find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

As someone else has explained, they keep recurring because they're cookies that get set by the advertising banners loaded onto certain sites. The advertising companies use the cookies to track your activities to varying degrees, so if you're worried about being profiled, it's good to clear them occasionally. On the other hand, they can use the tracking to deliver more appropriate ads, so if you'd prefer that, you should leave them. It's a personal choice.

I use a combination of Spybot, Ad-aware and MS AntiSpyware myself, find they do the job just fine. I only leave AntiSpyware running constantly though, the others I just run once a month or so.

adam

Advertisement