Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pointless word

Options
  • 03-12-2005 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Is instantaneous a pointless word?

Is there a marked difference between "The results were instant" and "The results were instantaneous"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

ullu wrote:
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Ok, what's the difference between the two examples i gave then?

using instant in that sentence is gramattically wrong

Thanks, why is that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

no it's not,
    ullu, there is either no difference between the words in some contexts like awesome and brilliant but in cases they are used differently.
    Instantaneous Speed - speed at any given instant in time.
    If something happens instantly it happens immediately. If something happens instantaneously it also happens immediately but at the same time very quickly. Instantaneous and instantaneously are used only in a restricted range of contexts:
    * The Beatles songs are instantly recognisable - everybody seems to know them.
    * When I saw Barbara crying I knew instantly what was wrong.
    * Death was instantaneous for all the people in the car when the bomb exploded.
    * The airbags for the driver and front seat passenger inflate instantaneously on impact in a
    head-on collision.

get the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

not sure you can use the verb "to be" with instant.

Thanks Tar, the reason I wondered is because instantaneous is a direct derivative of instant. Obviously "The results were instant" and "The results were immediate" have the same meaning but are independent words. It just struck me that instantaneous (rightly or wrongly) was a needless derivative with the exact same meaning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ullu wrote:
    Doubleplusquick is an unword.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

RuggieBear is right. Fowler's Usage (my own copy, not online) says so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I would say myself that the main difference is that "instantaneous" usually implies that another action took place at the same time e.g.

"He shot himself in the head...death was instantaneous" In other words occurred at the same time as he popped a cap in himself..

"The air bag inflated instantaneously...(when the car hit the wall)

"Instant" doesn't seem to convey the presence of another action....

Ah .. Its good enough for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ullu wrote:
    "The results were instant"
    Is instant is a noun in this sentence? I find it uncomfortable to say.

I would say "The results were immediate" or "We got instant results".

Advertisement