Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet Disposal information requested

Options
  • 03-12-2005 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've done an extensive search with google but can find no information on carpet disposal, nor a list of public dumps in the Dublin area !

I just got Des Kelly to recarpet my house.
    But
    a) they had said up front, that they refused to take the old carpets
    ( not very customer oriented, but fair enough )
    b) they refused to take their own off-cuts of the carpet.

I was under the impression, from other people, that they're legally obliged to take the off-cuts / waste material that they produce ?
    Anyone got any ideas or weblinks to any environmental laws concerning this ?

Also, if anyone has a list of dump sites around the Lucan area ?
    Please resist the temptation to say something like "anywhere in Clondalkin" :-)

regards,
    Owen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I got the answers for this, if anyone else is interested.

a) carpet companies are not required to provide a facility to dispose of waste materials.

b) www.dublinwaste.ie has a list of sites for waste disposal.
    Eg. Ballymount near Walkinstown only charges about €10 for a carload.

regards,
    Owen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

OMcGovern wrote:
    b) they refused to take their own off-cuts of the carpet.

I was under the impression, from other people, that they're legally obliged to take the off-cuts / waste material that they produce ?
    Anyone got any ideas or weblinks to any environmental laws concerning this ?
    Whatever about the old carpets, refusal to take the offcuts seems very suspect. I'd have thought that the offcuts were their property, as you haven't purchased these. You purchased carpet to fit your rooms - no more, no less.

It's good to give others a heads-up on this, so it can be addressed up front, i.e. before the order gets signed.

Try ODCA and/or ECIC for more advice.

Advertisement