Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with 5 weeks in Donegal?

Options
  • 03-12-2005 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

What to do with 5 weeks in Donegal? :confused:

A little about meself:
    I'm going to be home for about 5 weeks from December to mid-January. I'm from Donegal Town and been living outside of Ireland since 1987, and I haven't lived in Donegal since 1985. I go home every year for about 2 weeks, but usually spend most of me time about the town with family or drinking with friends.

This year I'll be home over Christmas, and will be working from the Mum's house over her broadband connection. I plan to have a rental car (if I can find a good enough deal on one, but that's a question for another thread).

The question(s)!
    So any ideas what to do for enterainment for those 5 weeks? What new (or newish) things should I go see or do or avoid around the county or anywhere in the North West.

Any concerts or plays, pubs or restuarants, in Donegal or within a reasonable driving distance that just have to be visited? Or even things happenings further afield? Any suggestions welcome, even whacky ones! :D

And any suggestions for New Years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

i think u should get a nice donegal girl with a sexy accent and bring her back to boston wioth her aslan are playin in castlebar if that is any help to you so is ikeano for 4 nights not sure when i keano is though im sure you will find something good in sligo or mletterkenny though just nif u are relly stuck u can check out this website www.tfroyaltheatre.com its the theatre in castlebar if that is any help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

i think u should get a nice donegal girl with a sexy accent and bring her back to boston
    Tempting, but I think the girlfriend might get annoyed at me if I do! :D
    www.tfroyaltheatre.com its the theatre in castlebar if that is any help to you
    Great suggestion, could be a good idea for a day and night away from Donegal. Any idea why it's called the Royal Theater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

bettlebrox wrote:
    Tempting, but I think the girlfriend might get annoyed at me if I do! :D

Great suggestion, could be a good idea for a day and night away from Donegal. Any idea why it's called the Royal Theater?

havent a clue sorry id say because the hotel is called the tf royal and they just added theatre havent got a clue where the royal is but i know its beside a prespraterian church and there is grafitti sayin f**k the i r a around there

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Also, check out An Grianán Theatre, Letterkenny:
    http://www.angrianan.com/

And the Balor in Ballybofey:
    http://www.balortheatre.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

The only place to go is Letterkenny. TBH there isnt a lot going outside of Letterkenny. Whatever entertainment is happening there, It has an Grianan, loads of good night clubs, cinema, new bowling alley(arena 7) and loads of shops to go shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Letterkenny is really the only place in Donegal that anything exciting happens, although if you do get a rental car go for a drive along the fanad drive. beautiful scenery, you'll see what your missin and never go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

go to portnablah, sit on the pier (in your car if its cold) and plan out your new year, its great for the soul!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,868 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you want a good night (or half early night) out then go to the dogs in Lifford.
    Fantastic entertainment.
    http://www.igb.ie/stadia/lfd.aspx?section=2

byte

Oh yeah, the dog racing! It's brilliant night's craic! I also recommend it.:)

Good tips keep 'em coming!

Anything much happening around Sligo or Derry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

the better live music venues in derry are the nerve centre and sandinos bar. An excellent venue but thick with smoke. Theatrewise there is the millenium forum and a smaller venue called the playhouse.
    Derry city is a pretty crap place to eat out unless you like eating steak and chips . Expect to be ripped off and fed ****e There is one indian eatin house in town and should be burned down. Quite a few chinese restaurants all serving dung. The only one I would recommend is mange 2 Futher north there is mcgrorys bar in culdaff. Brilliant music venue. Carndonagh has a restaurant which is meant to be excellent. Its run by 2 sisters and seats a very small number < 20. Sorry. not sure what its called
    Closer to home why not take your ma to sunday lunch/dinner @ harveys point. Calling the place excellent does not do it justice.
    Oh yes, dunno has anybody mentioned the scenery. They haven't ruined it all yet, workin on though!!

byte

If you're considering Harveys Point, go for the Carvery Lunch on Sundays

All ya can eat for €25! You'll not leave hungry that's for sure! :)

I've been to Harvey's, great grub but a bit pricey. Haven't made it to the Carvey yet, I gotta go check it out then walk all the way home to walk off the gorging. :eek:

Anyone tried the Indian restuarant in the car park off main street?

Wow, the Undertones are playing in the Nerve Center on Dec 30th!

>An excellent venue but thick with smoke.
    So everyone pops across the border for a pint & a fag?

byte

bettlebrox wrote:
    Anyone tried the Indian restuarant in the car park off main street?

I guess you're referring to Shapla. Yeah, the food is apparently very good, though I'm not a big fan of Indian cuisine myself.

There is also a Shapla restaurant on the way into Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Aye, I've been to Shapla in Letterkenny and would definately recommend it. I would also recommend the Radisson, the food is lovely. Staff aren't the friendliest but. Also the Silver Tassie, on the Ramelton road does lovely pub grub.

Brian Kennedy is playing in the Mount Errigal on the 28th Dec I think. Also Kieran Goss is in an Grianan at the beginning of Jan.
    On new years day, you can always go and watch the fools go for their new years swim at marble hill or downings or where ever is close to you.

check out the local papers Donegal peoples press, derry people, donegal democrat, they usually have listings of upcoming events.

byte

Going off topic slightly but, you mention the Radisson, with great food but crap staff. For me, if the staff aren't friendly, then I would instantly hate the place, regardless of what the food is like!

It's not too hard to smile once in a while! :)v

I might check out the Silver Tassie though. Haven't been to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 treewell

Donegal Town is great around Christmas time because everybody comes home for Christmas.
    Aslan are playing in the Abbey on the 29th of Dec.
    Couple of good places to eat are the Italian, La Bella Donna, and the Thai in the Central Hotel. Thumbs up on both places! Then there's Duffy's chips are always good for a hangover.
    Then we come to the pubs! Theres quite alot for the size of Donegal Town! Well you have Doms, Great for a lock in! The Castle Bar its ok if you like wanna be snobs!! O'Donnells Formaly known as McGoratys Great place for GAA Buffs!! I could go on for ever... the Abbey Bar some times have good bands!! then other times its hit and miss!! The National would have a lot of local bands and The Reveller formaly known of The Voyage is jammed every night!
    Hope That helps!

Treewell

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

bettlebrox wrote:
    Wow, the Undertones are playing in the Nerve Center on Dec 30th!

Yes that will me there not acting my age, seen them a few there times now, always good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Sleep?

Advertisement