Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Insulation Question: Anyone used Warmcel or cellulose blown fibre?

Options
  • 02-12-2005 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has used Warmcel or cellulose blown fibre insulation internally in stud partions. The guy who is blowing beads into our cavities mentioned it to me as an alternative in our studs. Haven't heard of anyone using it, have you?

Any advice, help or tips would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I haven't heard of it being used internally, although I would imagine that it would be a very good noise insulation being dense.
    But AFAIK the process involves sticking the hose into a cavity and pumping the shredded cellulose into the space all the while pulling the hose out.
    Could be exceedingly difficult in a partition wall.
    What have you done to minimise the noise transmission so far?
    I was supplied Acoustic felt from the guy we bought the house from and this was stapled to the Sole/wall/ceiling plates as they were erected. Apparently this is what RTE use as well. It serves to minimise sound transmission under and around the plates.
    also you could double slab which is what we have done.
    double slab = 2 inches of plasterboard plus rockwool of ~100mm =pretty quiet wall.
    you also have the denser type acoustop? slab which would further reduce noise transmission.
    then there is the rubber sheet ala :http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproofing/barriermat.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has used Warmcel or cellulose blown fibre insulation internally in stud partions. The guy who is blowing beads into our cavities mentioned it to me as an alternative in our studs. Haven't heard of anyone using it, have you?

Any advice, help or tips would be welcomed.

haven't got there yet but will be insulating our timber frame with Warmcell. Reasons for choosing it are its u-values, it doesn't leave any air gaps as it fills the space its pumped into. It's also eco friendly. It does need to be fairly thick though 6" minimum from what I gather.

Advertisement