Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Proofing

Options
  • 02-12-2005 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,
    We are nearing completion of our renovation project. We converted a bedroom to a bathroom. We had to install a Saniflow (Waste Macerator) which backs onto our neighbor’s wall. We also installed a 3-Bar shower pump which is located under the bath. Both devices are extremely noisy and I am concerned regarding our neighbors sanity!! (Especially at 12am). Could anyone please offer any suggestions as to how to sound proof these devices?

I was thinking of building a box and lining it with carpet/insulation. This would probably dampen the sound generated from the pump but the macerator is fixed against a wall and access is difficult

Any suggestions very welcome
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I found that the trick with sound insulation is isolation. whatever is making the noise needs to be on its own foundation and should not share any walls (or foundation) with anything else.

Are you detached or semi-d ? If it's the latter then it's going to be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

Id love to soundproof one wall of my room as its my parents bedroom and i play games late so it wakes them.
    Id like to know some kind of solution to noise too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Chances are that it's not the wall that's the problem. Sound will "travel" through furniture/floor/walls as long as they're touching each other.

Some things you can do :
    isolate the speakers by putting them on spikes
    isolate the speakers by using pieces of neoprene (you can buy sheets of it at Radionics), this is a rubber-like sheeting that has good isolating properties, used in workshops to reduce noise from lathes etc travelling through the floor.

The sound is probably going into your parents room via radiator piping or the shared floor joists. So get the speakers as isolated as possible and you should improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Optimus wrote:
    Id love to soundproof one wall of my room as its my parents bedroom and i play games late so it wakes them.
    Id like to know some kind of solution to noise too.

Wear earphones if they're sleeping..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Sorry about the heading I made a mistake.
    Basically sound travels through a medium so you need to control that. THe only way to reduce sound is to make it difficult to go through a medium. Adding mass is the simplest method as the sound can't make it through the mass so it is quite. Isolation works as it increases the amount of medium it must travel through.
    I have both a saniflow and power shower. The are on a neighbours wall too. I don't like that neighbour and I rent the house out to students too. Revenge for the various things he did :) He is really unhappy about the sound but it is actually below the limits and reasonable.

The solution is however pretty simple stop the transmision by removing contact with the wall directly as much as possible. Use felt like materials between item any surface they are near to reduce the sound

• Advertisement
Advertisement