Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL + Blueface

Options
  • 02-12-2005 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

Just moved into a new apartment and I am thinking about getting NTL (35 p/m, 2k d/200 u) and Blueface for phone line.

I have a few questions:
    1. Phone No: Can Blueface allocate me a new 01 number as I have no existing phone line?
    2. How much bandwidth does Blueface need, is NTL sufficient?
    3. Can I use phone and broadband at same time? If so just for web browsing, or is gaming and file-sharing ok?
    4. How much is the analogue to VOIP phone adapter thingy?
    5. Does it take long to set up?
    6. NTL don't provide a fixed IP address. Does that matter?
    7. What is the quality of the connection like? Is it comparable to a landline, or mobile?
    8. Anything else I should know or need to get VOIP?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Most answers are yes. The rest are on the Blueface webiste. Who will know more about this than Blueface?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

troy wrote:
    Hi,

Just moved into a new apartment and I am thinking about getting NTL (35 p/m, 2k d/200 u) and Blueface for phone line.

I have a few questions:
    1. Phone No: Can Blueface allocate me a new 01 number as I have no existing phone line?

Yes blueface can give you a 01 number
    [*]How much bandwidth does Blueface need, is NTL sufficient?

Around 7-10KB upload is fine I find, so it'll have no problems running on NTL
    [*]Can I use phone and broadband at same time? If so just for web browsing, or is gaming and file-sharing ok?

Yes, although file sharing can affect call quality
    But normal web browsing and gaming shouldn't cause you any issues at all
    [*]How much is the analogue to VOIP phone adapter thingy?

Prices do vary, have a look for yourself
    https://www.blueface.ie/shop/getDevice.aspx?device=&payg=&page=plans&plan=NOTREQD&x=47&y=16
    Personally I'd get a ATA instead of a IPPhone
    [*]Does it take long to set up?

Account setup is straight away, delivery of equipment takes a few days and blueface pre-configure it for you so all you have to do is connect it correctly :)
    [*]NTL don't provide a fixed IP address. Does that matter?

This won't affect VoIP at all
    [*]What is the quality of the connection like? Is it comparable to a landline, or mobile?

Unless your leeching like hell with your broadband connection, call quality is basically the same as a landline...except its cheaper :)
    [*]Anything else I should know or need to get VOIP?

Not that I can think of, I would suggest that if your using bittorrent get yourself Azureurs and the autospeed plugin so you can limit your uploads/downloads in order to improve call quality.

I would also suggest having a good look at the blueface website especially the help section as it'll help further with some of your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

Cheers for that lads.

Sounds pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Trying not to hijack this thread, letting you know abt my experience with NTL. Don't be scared.

NTL has been a very reliable ISP, had their cable modem service since Sep 2004. Very few downtime except for the last few weeks. Co-incidently when I'm now relying 100% on NTL for my Blueface.

Fridays are the most hated days since last few weeks coz these were the days when the cable guys and engineers always feck around ie. broke the connections, etc. I couldn't blame them all (people make mistakes) but a week off without NTL (therefore no Blueface too then) three weeks always put me on alert.

I had this story posted but in short, a cable guy pulled and put the wrong cable to wrong house during maintenance. No one aware of that thinking it was a network general breakdown. Sorted at the end when an engineer dropped by, took 5 mins gladly but we waited for a week and 3-4 calls a day to customer support!

Overall NTL is grand. Blueface runs smoothly and sexily on my 3mpbs line. However I have now taken set-up a divert on my Blueface to unused mobile, in case the cable modem breaks down again, again and again.

Now considering alternative to NTL, unluckily magnet has not around yet in town - IFSC. What can I say, we are living in unfortunate residential area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

The best thing about blueface, excluding the lightning fast support, is their technical proficiency.:v:

• Advertisement
Advertisement