Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking shower

Options
  • 02-12-2005 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Have an ongoing problem with leak from ensuite. Have had a plumber examine. Innitially he fixed a leaking hand basin. Didn't identify problem with shower. After returning he now says seals around shower basin deteriorated and also may be a problem under tray. Has said should replace tray and reseal. Ball park figure of € 1350 + vat, includes replacement of tray, new shower doors ( as he'll probably break when removing tray ) and tilling. Does this sound like a reasonable price/solution ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Why is he replacing the shower tray and shower surround exactly. This seems excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Unless they shower tray or outlet is cracked there should be no need to replace it. Just remove the old seal (mastic, I presume) and replace it. Even if he had to replace the tray, could he not remove the door instead of breaking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

where is the waste outlet on the shower? If its in the far corner then he might end up lifting the lot...

Surely you can rule out the waste outlet if you keep the water within the confines of the tray?

Is the tray cracked? How long has the shower been in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can just unscrew the doors and take them off, 30 mins work max!
    I've done it before to reseal them.
    Cant see any real need to get a new tray, it should break when its being removed.
    When its going back make sure that it has plenty of support. Most leaking shower trays are caused by the weight of a person pulling it away from the wall/seal as it moves.

I'd get a second and third opinion and let my mother have a go before I'd pay half that amount.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Beats

Sensible advice. I'll check as suggested. Price had me concerned, especially as he had innitially said 1500 before lowering to 1350. Best to get second opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement