Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New City Bus Timetables out December 4th

Options
  • 01-12-2005 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Personally I can't wait.

Any predictions lads?

Reckon there's any hope some of the services will have their frequency increased? Or will there be some routes that are to be axed altogether?

Just 3 more days to go!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I don't think the words 'Limerick' and 'bus timetable' belong in the same sentence to be honest! And even when bus eireann try to do something about it, i.e. introduce bus lanes, the local politicians go nuts.

I'm usually an optimist but I'd take any new timetable with a rather large pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What bothers me is we used have double-decker buses, I wonder why they were removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

It's not the worst service but there is room for improvement. It would be great if people with cars saw the bus as a viable alternative mode of transport that would get them to their destination on time without having to wait for very long periods in the cold. Unfortunately, bus-users don't hold much electoral clout, so I don't think we'll be seeing meaningful improvements any time soon. One of the problems was highlighted recently, I think by a TD from the Green Party but I'm not sure, when he surveyed members of the Dáil to see how many of them use public transport during their working lives and those that had done were in a minority, and also most of those that had used it wouldn't use it on an everyday basis - most of them gave as the reason for their low usage that they "were very busy, and to get to all their appointments on time, a car was the only option."

How then can they expect the rest of the public, who also have jobs and are also under pressure as regards time, to use the services that they themselves won't do if you need to get somewhere at a specific time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

well city its preety good imo but we need bus lanes!
    but the county bus service is a disgrace hope the improve that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well the post said that:
    O'Malley Park's service will continue to operate after 2pm up until 6pm.
    Raheen's service will be every 10 minutes
    Castletroy/UL's service will be every 15 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Think the timetables were in the local papers already not sure
    as I did not see them already.

Space on the buses seems to be an issue.
    I always associated buses with Buggys and old people in the front,
    the average Joe in the middle who ends up giving up their seat
    to a woman or old person and the knackers or drunk in the back row seat.
    Oh yeah the local crazy or nutcase always is up front talking to the bus
    driver.

I have often seen 3-4 Mothers getting on with Huge Buggys, shoppping
    and about 3 kids with them. And they dont/refuse or are not told to
    fold the pram/buggy. It means they take up a huge amount of space
    and also Block the Bus so poeple cannot get on or off without difficulty.

This is a Health and safety issue.

I know Its not the mothers fault as they
    may not have any other form of transportation and they also may not
    be able to fold buggs cos they are loaded of with shopping bags.

A queueing system would be nice. Most poeple queue OK.
    Old people tend to stick their brolly in you, skip the queue or
    push people out of the way just because they are old, and then
    get off two stops later. I suppose if you make it to that age
    where you get on for free you deserve it for surviving that long.

Every 10 mins on the Raheen Route wont happen. Have often
    waited 45 mins to over an hour for a bus. as I mentioned before
    I would love to see somthing like they have on the DART stations
    where you can see how many minutes away the next DART is.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

UL every 15 mins, i doubt it.. But it is desperately needed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

An improvement on the bus that goes up to the Childers Rd would be nice, its an pain in the hole trying to get out to work in the mornings. Some times i dont make the 8 o'clock bus so have to wait around til 8.40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭sioda

The bus service is a disgrace in Limerick but Bus Lanes are going to be no use most of the roads in the suburbs couldn't accomodate them. Corbally and Sexton Street north are perfect examples and these places are traffic nite mares already. The only way I can see to help is to put shuttle services that go from one end of the town to the other not crossing the bridges then feeder buses from there. Buses crossing the town just will not work I mean Caherdavin to UL just ins't feasible any more I have walked it quicker on more than one occaision

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

they should start making bus lanes as soon as possible because if they dont now it will be much harder in the future.
    Especially childers road
    since they brought in the new traffic lights at the childers road shopping centre its slowed down so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭sioda

Huge have to agree there the Dunnes traffic lights are a menace Surely the another entrance could have been put at the claughan to get rid of some of the traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Advertisement