Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Online map of cheap petrol in Ireland! pumps.ie

Options
  • 01-12-2005 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I've put up a web site that maps petrol stations by county and allows people to update it with the petrol and diesel prices! The usual suspects are all there, Tesco Dundrum, Texaco Clonkeen road etc!

Please add any stations we have missed out or update any stations that you know the price of!

Cheers!

J
    Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

whizzbang wrote:
    Hi there

I've put up a web site that maps petrol stations by county and allows people to update it with the petrol and diesel prices! The usual suspects are all there, Tesco Dundrum, Texaco Clonkeen road etc!

Please add any stations we have missed out or update any stations that you know the price of!

Cheers!

J

Already done and has been around a long time!

http://www.irishfuelprices.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Big Nelly wrote:
    Already done and has been around a long time!

http://www.irishfuelprices.com/

Yep, I've seen ifp.com, they have done a really good job. I used to use them but I got annoyed by how they kept having the same garage registered multiple times at slightly different addresses. The idea here is that people find the garage they mean and update it, rather than just adding a new line to the list.

also pumps.ie has more detailed maps and allows you to see what the cheapest petrol is by town, or area of town rather than just by county.

Have a play and see what you think!

I'm open to suggestions!

J

whizzbang wrote:
    Yep, I've seen ifp.com, they have done a really good job. I used to use them but I got annoyed by how they kept having the same garage registered multiple times at slightly different addresses. The idea here is that people find the garage they mean and update it, rather than just adding a new line to the list.

also pumps.ie has more detailed maps and allows you to see what the cheapest petrol is by town, or area of town rather than just by county.

Have a play and see what you think!

I'm open to suggestions!

J

Have to admit man you have done a sweet job on it....think I will start using it instead of ifp!!! you develop the website itself???

Big Nelly wrote:
    Have to admit man you have done a sweet job on it....think I will start using it instead of ifp!!! you develop the website itself???

Yep, I work in IT and I was playing around with the mapping stuff and thought it could be a good idea. We all know how obsessed we are about petrol prices here! ;)

Please spread the word about the site! the mroe people who update it the more useful it will become!

:)

J

Will send it around my mates at work!! it would be great if you could actually get the garages themselves to update the prices!! dont think this will ever happen thou!! then they would be able to see who the ro**ing bas**ds are!

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Will send it around my mates at work!! it would be great if you could actually get the garages themselves to update the prices!! dont think this will ever happen thou!! then they would be able to see who the ro**ing bas**ds are!

cheers! thats excellent! word of mouth is always best for these things! as for the garages updating it I'm hopeing we might be able to do that at some stage! I'm sure the cheap garages know they are cheap and would love to promote it on the web! The more expensive garages would more likely decline to update it!

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

now that is pretty impressive-top job, keep it up!

I've forward the link to my address book and certain pdl's here at work.

How does one alert of another petrol station? Maxol on Straffan Road, Maynooth for instance - next to Esso.

ciarsd wrote:
    now that is pretty impressive-top job, keep it up!

I've forward the link to my address book and certain pdl's here at work.

How does one alert of another petrol station? Maxol on Straffan Road, Maynooth for instance - next to Esso.

you can add a station yourself very easily!

Just click the "Add New Station" and follow the instructions! Maynooth doesn't have good maps so you just need to click in the general area to put down a white marker to show where your petrol station will be!

Once you click "Add Station" the station will be added to the list! Unfortunatly if you are using internet explorer it don't show up until you restart teh browser but with firefox is showup right away.

Once it is added anyone can update it as usual by clicking on the marker on the map and filling in the details, or they can click on the station name (or "update" link on the right) to access the update panel!

Let me know if you have any trouble with it!

J

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Great site, I'll start updating soon, as I take a note of all the petrol stations I pass on my 32mile commute!

byte wrote:
    Great site, I'll start updating soon, as I take a note of all the petrol stations I pass on my 32mile commute!

yikes! thats some commute! all stations you can find are welcome!

We don't have many down your way yet! ;)

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Great site! I'll try and keep Premier Service Station in Limerick updated, as I work there on weekends ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well done, Whizzbang, nice site :)

Some suggestions that are relevant imho:

1. Use last update time on front page that shows station and fuel prices instead of when you click on update

2. Use Irish time, not US time for last updated ;)

3. Do NOT show IP address of last updater

4. Allow people to separately update petrol and diesel prices. Someone coming across pumps.ie a few hours after filling up, will either remember (or have the receipt of) the price of the fuel he/she purchased, but is unlikely to remember other fuel prices

P.S. just updated the price on my usual station where I filled up a couple of hours ago

Great site! I'll try and keep Premier Service Station in Limerick updated, as I work there on weekends ^_^

That would be excellent thanks! you can't beat having a person on the inside! ;)

J

unkel wrote:
    Well done, Whizzbang, nice site :)

Some suggestions that are relevant imho:

1. Use last update time on front page that shows station and fuel prices instead of when you click on update

2. Use Irish time, not US time for last updated ;)

3. Do NOT show IP address of last updater

4. Allow people to separately update petrol and diesel prices. Someone coming across pumps.ie a few hours after filling up, will either remember (or have the receipt of) the price of the fuel he/she purchased, but is unlikely to remember other fuel prices

P.S. just updated the price on my usual station where I filled up a couple of hours ago

Cheers Unkel!

Good suggetsions, unfortunatly the server is in Canada, ian they fix the timestamp for me!
    The IP address was meant to scare off people from messing with the site, perhaps I can show it obviscated.
    You should be able to update just one of the prices, I'd recommend people leave the price they don't know alone, might change it though, it coudl be scaring off people who dont' know both prices.

Cheers for the tips and please keep it up! its always good to get feedback!

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Cool site - well done. It appears a little cramped on my 1024x768 screen is it optimised for 1280x1024?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

probably too late now but any way you cna use Navteq maps instead of TeleAtlas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It uses Google Maps so I don't think he really has any choice over what that uses (it changes dynamically)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok looks good but I can't seem to see any stations, nothing happens when I click on a county????

Paul (MN) wrote:
    probably too late now but any way you cna use Navteq maps instead of TeleAtlas?

Its all based off Google maps I'm afraid! setting up a mapping server is a bit beyond me at the mo! ;)

J

irish1 wrote:
    Ok looks good but I can't seem to see any stations, nothing happens when I click on a county????

what browser are you using? Internet Explorer is a bit slow I'm afraid! it takes a few secdons to load the county view page.

Be patient and it should work!

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 volker81k

Hi @whizzbang,

Good site you've built there. Are you still looking after it?

When loading the site the map is showing this:

And when trying to modify details of a station I get HTTP Error 500

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maybe they were using the Netscape browser back in 2005.🤣

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's 17 years ago and the OP has not been seen since 2018....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Miscreant

This one has to be a record! Reviving a 17-year-old Zombie thread when there is an active Pumps.ie one already?

Are the Mods around?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement