Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dfi Lanparty Sli-d/dr

Options
  • 01-12-2005 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new SLI-DR board and as many of you may know they now come with a passive fan for the NF4 chipset. I was wondering if anyone managed to find another way round this as normal heatsinks will not work due to the GFX card coming over the fan.

My card 6800GT comes out to the cover the fan

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not sure what you want here mate, plus the link doesnt work. Can you tell us the temp for the chipset. Anything around 30-50 should be fine. If not try to take it off and slap some artic 5 on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

what is a passive fan?
    is it a fan that isn't plugged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

check www.dfi-street.com
    The NB hsf is tough to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Ok problem is that the gfx car comes over the fan/heatsink so replacing it with a standard heat sink is a nono, is there a water cooling or heatsink that has heat pipes coming out the sides instead of straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Let me get this straight, you want to replace the non-passive stock cooler (i.e. fan) with a passive one. Is that correct?

If so then buy a Zalman NB47J and bend the fins until the graphics card sits down snugly into it. I did this when I had my first SLI-D and it was perfect. It's the best passive solution for this board - but it will only work with one graphics card.
    Alternatively you could just use the second PCI-E x8 slot and run the card there. Just adjust the jumpers to SLI mode and it will be fine. There will be no reduction in speed because the PCI-E bus is not fully utilised even at x8 speeds by the 6800 series of cards. Then you can use any nF4 aftermarket chipset cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Sorry over the confusion but you have answered better than i could have hoped thanks

There is no need for a water block on the chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

krazy_8s wrote:
    There is no need for a water block on the chipset.

If you want silence with an SLI setup its the only way to go without making one yourself

Plus this is not any old chipset its a NF 4 and its very hot so water is good for OC plus that fan is F**King anoying!

• Advertisement

If I was arsed I would put a passive heatsink in like wizzard said{to me on another forum 9 months ago as well}. A chipset waterblock is highly restrictive and is detramental to performance of any watercooling system but ones designed from the outset to be quiet completly passive systems

what temps are you getting off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Temps of around 45-55 would be normal for a passive HS, and higher if you OC. You should have a 120mm fan blowing over the board anyway (MOSFETs etc) if you are overclocking.

Advertisement