Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best?

Options
  • 01-12-2005 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Shotokan in St. Olafs Hall
    Kung Fu up in Ferrybank
    Jiu-Jitsu in Waterpark College

Looking to get off my arse and away from the tv and was wondering which one is the best craic? Anybody ever go to any of there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Reaver772 wrote:
    Shotokan in St. Olafs Hall
    Run by a guy called Pat Rockett, he's insane. It's hard training but if you stick it out you'll get fit (or dead). Big emphasis on fitness, stamina and being able to actually fight.
    Kung Fu up in Ferrybank
    Never been there, heard mixed things.

Jiu-Jitsu in Waterpark College
    Went for a few months, ballet for men perhaps? The techniques look impressive but you won't get fit and none are really practical for self defence. Also they don't seem to take part in competitons/do anything with other schools so it gets boring, repetetive and feels rather pointless after a while.

Overall I'd give Shotokan a try, there's also another class run out in Lisduggan on Wednesday nights by a different instructor. He focuses more on the traditional aspects of the art, so you'll still get quite fit but not so many bruises.

If you do try out the Kung Fu I'd be interested to hear what you make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How about

Waterford City Taekwon-Do Club
    Christchurch School
    Lower Newtown
    Waterford City

Instructor is Mr. Ambrose Murphy. I've only met him a few times at tournaments etc, but TKD is a great all round martial art. If you want his number, send me a PM. I just don't want to post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Or there is the Waterford Vale Tudo Mixed Martial Arts in Billy Sullivans gym up in the Old Jute Factory. Good bunch of lads and you get to people you do "that yoke you see on the UFC on Bravo Channel"

There are a few Tae Kwon Do clubs if you prefer stand up with no ground work, Ambrose, Nifty Cooney or Bistos' clubs for a start. There's a Judo club up there someplace, WIT I think? And there is traditional Hapkido or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu on offer out in Tramore.

If your still unsure post a question in the Self Defense Forum, or just call over and meet the lads, try each style and find which is the best "fit" for yourself.
    Good luck with it ;)

Advertisement