Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First modded XBOX 360

Options
  • 01-12-2005 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Should be more than enough inspiration for our budding XBOX 360 modders

112905%20098.jpg

See more mindblowing images and read the full article from llamma.com here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

How cool is that. Microsoft will make a mint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

plonk wrote:
    How cool is that. Microsoft will make a mint

I don't know about that now. Most mods (like the one shown above) are custom made hombrew jobs, nothing to do with Microsoft..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spitfier

Yes but they're still going to make a mint from selling them and people putting images online of their modded XBOX won't hurt sales.

spitfier wrote:
    Yes but they're still going to make a mint from selling them and people putting images online of their modded XBOX won't hurt sales.

Well that's a bit of a given really, that they're going to make money selling consoles, I think only the hardcore folks who are buying the console anyway (those who would dare to tamper with their console) would be impressed by this.

but arent microsoft selling mods in shops and ebay will be covered in them

• Advertisement

You're thinking of the fascias they're selling, like the phone fascias, they're detachable faceplates for the 360 (just the front tray - not the whole console).

Laguna wrote:
    You're thinking of the fascias they're selling, like the phone fascias, they're detachable faceplates for the 360 (just the front tray - not the whole console).
    my bad

plonk wrote:
    my bad

It's no problem!, I thought the same myself when I heard about these 360 fascias, MS didn't make themselves crystal clear until recently that you can only modify the faceplace with them!

Would you say the guys at llama.com took the original casing of the XBOX 360, sprayed it, and cut away the side panel for the transparent window or engineered it from scratch? I'd like to mod mine when I get my hands on one some time next year but I'm not so sure I will be able to get access to access to a workshop to engineer a casing, though in saying that there will probably be kits all over the internet like for those who modify the exterior of their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

looks really cool, wonder when they are gonna start overclocking them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

There's only one kind of mod that'll make me go oooo and go out and buy one and thats a chip mod ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

spitfier wrote:
    Would you say the guys at llama.com took the original casing of the XBOX 360, sprayed it, and cut away the side panel for the transparent window or engineered it from scratch? I'd like to mod mine when I get my hands on one some time next year but I'm not so sure I will be able to get access to access to a workshop to engineer a casing, though in saying that there will probably be kits all over the internet like for those who modify the exterior of their cars.

I doubt they built a new case from scratch. That mod would not really have been that hard tbh. Take the covers off, cut a shape out with your dremel. Spray it and stick some plexi over the cut area :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I'd wait until the warranty was up tbh! Looks good though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Laguna wrote:
    Well that's a bit of a given really, that they're going to make money selling consoles, I think only the hardcore folks who are buying the console anyway (those who would dare to tamper with their console) would be impressed by this.
    Well, actually they make quite a substantial loss selling the consoles. They make money selling peripherals, games, and Xbox Live!. As for who will be impressed by XB360 casemods - pleasing aesthetics can be appreciated by anyone.
    Personally, I don't think the paintjob is all that good, but it's a decent mod for 7-days turnaround.
    gline wrote:
    looks really cool, wonder when they are gonna start overclocking them :D
    Well they may wish to achive sufficient cooling to keep it stable under load at stock speeds first...and I doubt it'll be easy to hack/mod/overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

You can buy this HERE if ur mad enough... Little bit more expensive than the original

SyxPak wrote:
    and I doubt it'll be easy to hack/mod/overclock.

thats what they said about the original xbox :D

unklerosco wrote:
    You can buy this HERE if ur mad enough... Little bit more expensive than the original

that is a crazy price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Don't get it. Someone has cut away a bit of an XBox so that they can show the bar codes on the hard drive. Doesn't seem all that cool to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

art wrote:
    Don't get it. Someone has cut away a bit of an XBox so that they can show the bar codes on the hard drive. Doesn't seem all that cool to me :(

Thats what i thought,. i think the original looks better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

unklerosco wrote:
    Thats what i thought,. i think the original looks better
    It's a bit of a crappy mod tbh, if someone wants to give me one I'll show you what a real mod will look like. :D

Although they did make a nice job of the controllers and the remote.

• Advertisement

art wrote:

It's not just the casing they've modded:

Window mod
    4" cold cathode
    12V fan mod (increase air flow)
    Silver and blue paint scheme
    Blue ring of light
    60GB laptop drive upgrade (this is in addition to the 20GB normal 360 drive both can be accessed from the dashboard and the upgrade drive can be updated with media from a PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8238748332

7 days left, and already 60 bids!!!!!!!!!!!!
    holy crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There's only one kind of mod that'll make me go oooo and go out and buy one and thats a chip mod

Check out Anandtechs under the hood article going to a while before its modded to run warez. Unless someone can make Xbox cpus cheapish.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2610

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

I'm pretty sure he's missing one vital component here...

transparent7en.gif

why no image display?

Advertisement