Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassist looking to start/join Dublin band

Options
  • 30-11-2005 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

i've posted here a few times before looking for a band, never had much success but i figured i'd give it another whirl before i give up and find myself a desk job! So, here we go...

Bass player, 21, left handed, playing for 5 years or so. Ideally i'd like to get a few musicians together and start something fresh but i'm willing to join a band still in its early stages who wont take offense to me changing any existing basslines to suit my style. My style i would say is flowing and melodic somewhat like mogwai, though adaptable depending on speed and volume and i'm getting better by the day at octaves etc, however it's tough to push your own boundaries when you have no other musicians around and there's only so far you can go learning covers. I largely avoid them unless there's something there i really want to learn.
    Bands who influence me... The shortlist includes Mogwai, Manic Street Preachers, Super Furry Animals, Mercury Rev and Supergrass. I don't sing which is the best thing for everyone concerned, believe me! I write the odd lyric, though...
    What i'm looking for is basically creative Indie/Alternative musicians and music writers willing to experiment with electronics, synths, effects etc but not in an over the top way... The closest thing to what i'd like to be a part of is probably the Super Furry Animals, but a bit easier on the old techno!

So, if you have a band that fits this description or you are a freelance musician and are interested (i think for this option, 2 guitars, drums, bass(me!) and a keyboard player that knows about synths would suffice, although all manner of instruments are welcome as long as you can play them well... a bit of diversity goes a long way!), e-mail me at x00007030@itnet.ie
    Thanks all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭loki_atwa

hey ho im a guitarist livin in drumcondra im up for trying something.
    my main influences at the mo are the black keys, qotsa, violent femmes, kyuss, the presidents of the usa bits and bobs really

pm if your interested
    oh yeah and mogwai and portishead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 astradelphinus

sweet signature man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Thanks, it's an excerpt from The Labyrinth Of Solitude by Octavio Paz... appeared as a blurb on the inside sleeve of the Manic Street Preachers Double Cd Single 'Of Walking Abortion' i believe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭sanfran

hmm well super furries are a band i'd like to be in, i play guitar write songs/sing like have a feeling i contacted you before can't recall, if yer interested in jammin let me know, do you write songs? any recorded up on the net?

sanfrantheband@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darragh.grant

Hey man,

when i looked at your thread there it seemed that our prayers have been answerd!

We are a dublin based band the format is, 2 guitarsts, drummer and a singer who plays keyboard, we have only been playing together for about two months but each of us have been playing our instruments for over 5 years, all in seperate projects and we finally got rid of all our other musical ties to finally start a band where every member is competent enough, we have had several bass players try out but they have all lacked in either timing or musical theory, we take it pretty seriously but we are not dry ****es!!

We are all influenced very differently so it would be impossible to say who our influences are, the music we play is very melodic there is not much distortion etc, it is very free flowing and easy to listen to rock, that was hard to explain!

If your interested p.m me or email me at darragh.grant@eircom.net

Darragh

• Advertisement
Advertisement