Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming hysteria?

Options
  • 30-11-2005 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering... Do we really need to worry about the global warming? Do we have to be hysterical? Are we hysterical?

I've read so many articles both on NASA's webpage(about changes in the spheric chemical cycles, ozone-changes) and in general science magazines that a global warming is taking place..

But I have not seen direct indicator that the climate is getting warmer in many places. It does, but I've heard so many examples of the same thing happening in the mid 1800's and early 1900's. Floods, acid precipitation and more snow or less snow here and there.

In the last 5 years, at least in my country where it snows, and the snow falls, people panic and make comments on how early the snow is this year or how late it is. And suddenly they believe, for no reason really, that there is a huge climate change going on. But there were irregular snowing period 100 years ago and 200 years ago too.

What's really the truth?

Comments

Dunn. From my own viewpoint it is indeed happening. I don't read the science journals or such so I don't know the specifics. All I see is the longer & better summer periods we've been having, and the deeper winter months we get here in Ireland. But then I could be completely off, since I only moved to Cork 3 years ago, and I'm still getting used to the difference in weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Vangelis wrote:
    I'm wondering... Do we really need to worry about the global warming? Do we have to be hysterical? Are we hysterical?

Yes to all three. Check out the current problems with the shrinking of the ice in the antartic, the increase in the number of typhoons and bad weather systems, and the current cold spell in Europe. We really are damaging the planet and we will pay for this, IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Reports of climate change are incresing at a fast rate. Just the other night I saw report that the warm currents that come up to us during the year are changeing direction a bit. So, colder winters for us here is the prediction.

I was out driving the other day and it hit me, looking around at all the cars on the road pumping out gas. It you combined all those exhausts(not to mention other emmissions) in ireland it would be like a mini volcano pumping out smoke 24/7. Combine everything worldwide and that's one hell of a big volcano, probably bigger than anything this world has seen since the dinousaur age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Climate change is happening, that is for certain. The gulf stream is weakening, which will greatly effect the north atlantic drift (the thing that makes our summers hot and winters mild)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4485840.stm

What is in dispute is if it is anything to do with us and the release of green-house gasses during the industrial age.

New report out last weeks seems to suggest that this is the most rapid temp change in the last 600,000 years, which would suggest it is actually us that is changing the climate, not just part of a natural cycle on earth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4467420.stm

BTW, climate change doesn't necessarily mean it is going to get hotter. In fact most models suggest that an increase in global temprature would cause both the Gulf Stream and the North Atlantic Drift to break down. Considering we are the same latitude to northern parts of Canada, without the NAD we can expect a dramatic decrease in temprature, with much longer, colder winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Asiaprod wrote:
    Yes to all three. Check out the current problems with the shrinking of the ice in the antartic, the increase in the number of typhoons and bad weather systems, and the current cold spell in Europe. We really are damaging the planet and we will pay for this, IMHO

It's the future generations that we should worry for because they'll end up paying for the way we've lived.
    The fact that there's little immediate impact lessens the importance, however (as we've seen over the summer) the increase in Hurricanes etc... is a wake up call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Climate.GIF

This graph illustrates the scale of change to earths surface temperature for the past millenium.
    As you can see there is a bit of a problem

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/005.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Global Dimming another climate which was only proved recently was masking the affects of global warming. Global dimming basically is teh earth is getting darker the particles we are releasing is blocking sunlight and making clouds last longer some places have 30% less sunlight than they had in 1960 but its on the mend as we started to control our emmissions but CO2 levels are still rising steadily. The last time we had an equivalent rise in CO2 we had a temperature rise of 6degrees c but now we only have a temp rise of .6degrees c. google global dimming and see what it is for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

But will the climate change have negative effects on people?

Are there any arguements against a climate change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

yes they will have negitive effects on people as temps will rise by about 5-10degrees if we dont do something

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Quite simple , yes , we should be worried about the effects of global warming.
    It came up in a geology lecture a while back in college. Basicly if we keep going the way we're going there will be a definite change in climate in less than 200 years ( ok well past our life span , but we shuld have consideration for future generations ).

And when the climate change occurs ( slowly but surely ) , many ecosystems will be destoyed , marine or terrestrial. For Example , if the Temperature increase , polar ice-sheets melt and sea levels rise. Not only will it flood the lands but will also cause an increase in the salinity of oceans in certain areas and will make the water uninhabitable for the animals there now. All this will have a knock on effect , food chain etc.

And as many have mentioned already , the direct impact on humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

There are alot of conflicting views here on the subject which suggests it is a hard one to pin down but IMHO there has been a very noticeable change in the weather throughout my life. I mean this year is the first time I have seen snow in November. Humanity have alot to answer for from the way we threat our home we are extremely wastefull and divided on all fronts when it comes to making decisions on making life easier for each other.

Vangelis wrote:
    Are there any arguements against a climate change?

There are arguments as to whether or not humans (ie the industrial revolution) is responsable or not. A lot of scientists would say yes, a lot of oil companies would say no.

But there is little doubt the climate has changed in the last 100 or so years. Again there is some doubt to how far this will effect us, will it be minor changes or lead to a very serious change like an ice age.

But the climate changes all the time..?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We are a virus with shoes. The introduction of man has had phenomenally bad effects on wildlife and the natural habitat of every continent as we migrated there. We are simply, too smart. We don't form an equilibrium with nature, we simply consume until there is nothing left (Oil, Cod, Oxygen...)
    We produce so much waste that our habitats become uninhabitable (Waste Dump protests, Nuclear fuel etc). We reproduce at an astonishing rate despite the lack of prey which normally keeps other animals in check (mass starvation in Africa, China's one-child policy).

But if you really want to look at it simply, how many times in your life have you heard the phrase "Worst XYZ in history" "Most devastating ABC since records began". Since each of those is (supposedly) a freak occurance, well outside the norm of such events, isnt it a little surprising that we seem to hit such "exceptional peaks" almost every year now? Most violent storm ever, worst earthquake, driest summer on record, wettest winter etc etc etc. I dont think a single record that stood when I was born, remains now.

Something is itching mother nature and this is her way of stratching it. I'm sure every other species on Earth is relieved.

DeV.

ps: get a before and after shot of the IceCaps in just 5-10 years. And then more before that. Frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So we're to blame for the earthquakes as well?:eek:

A disaster timeline http://www.gesource.ac.uk/timeline_Disasters.html which helps put recent events in some context.

Mike.

Vangelis wrote:
    But the climate changes all the time..?

Not really, as meditraitor diagram shows.

Okay, perhaps all the time is too vague. But the Earth is dynamic, it doesn't stand still and I think that has something to do with it. At least it is connected to the formation of habitats, rivers, cold areas and so on. An eventually it's connected to the larger climate changes.

DeVore is right. We demand too much space and our greed causes species to die out. Who told me we are not too many people on the planet today. *grumpy*

But DeVore, there have been extreme heat, dry seasons, freezing of croplands and similar things many centuries ago too. And volcanic eruptions have also had their part to play in changing temperature and terrain. Mostly to the disadvantage of animals and humans living where these things happened. Allthough, those are only small events.

Since the tsunami catastrophe last year, the orbit of the Earth around its own axis has speeded up by 1/10,000 seconds. Some think that this can cause changes, but who knows.. Doesn't seem very likely does it?

The CO2 waste from our industries is clearly disturbing the atmospheric cycles and that's the cause for the increasing holes above both the North and South pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We're doomed, possibly.

Mike.

Vangelis wrote:
    But DeVore, there have been extreme heat, dry seasons, freezing of croplands and similar things many centuries ago too. And volcanic eruptions have also had their part to play in changing temperature and terrain.

You are looking at specific regions and at specific events. Of course the climate in an area changes, even just on the passing of the sessions. Ireland is 10-20 degrees or more colder in winter than summer.

But what global warming studies look at the big picture, the climate averages of the entire earth over long periods, that don't actually change that much over hundreds of years. They have been changing significantly since the industrial revolution.

mike65 wrote:
    We're doomed, possibly.

Mike.

That articles leaves a frightening prospect. But surely, hysteria is the result of this kind of suggestive, vague things. They are saying that they need to examine the collected data better, as is the case with many such discoveries. The public is only left with a single piece of puzzles, not the whole picture.

• Advertisement

Vangelis wrote:
    That articles leaves a frightening prospect. But surely, hysteria is the result of this kind of suggestive, vague things. They are saying that they need to examine the collected data better, as is the case with many such discoveries. The public is only left with a single piece of puzzles, not the whole picture.

I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make ... are you saying that people should not get so hysterical over global warming until we know exactly what is happening? How are you defining hysterical? I mean is Kyoto an hysterical reaction?

Wicknight wrote:
    I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make ... are you saying that people should not get so hysterical over global warming until we know exactly what is happening?

Partly. People need to follow instructions on how to treat the environment. We cannot sit and wait for the whole picture to come. That can takes decades and it might be too late.
    How are you defining hysterical? I mean is Kyoto an hysterical reaction?

I have experienced hysteria myself. And I am thinking that I'm not the only one afraid of the rapid climate changes that seem to give no clue as to what else to do than wait. Wait to die, wait to freeze down from an unpredicted ice age, and so on. I feel sometimes that I worry about these things and they bother me a lot as more and more evidence comes up. What worries me more is the lack of knowledge scientists have and the many misinterpretations they have made. At least the few that I have heard of.

The thought that Northern Europe can freeze down under a layer of ice does in itself worry me. Will I survive? Where will I live? What about my family, my husband... ? These unanswered questions are the most troublesome.

And I am sure... that I'm not the only one with this 'inner unease'. There is no reason why we should be calm either because at the moment, severe disasters seem to be the imminent outcome of drastic changes. It has allready begun some say.

Kyoto is not a good enough reaction. But it is not hysterical. What I'm talking about is the burdensome predictions laid on our shoulders that we do not know how to get away from. The fear, the ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Check out State of Fear.
    Michael Crichton basically tears apart global warming in a thriller. Basically like Da Vinci code. Uses a lot of facts which I couldn't be bother to verify or believe. Good read though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

The effects of climate change are going to result in a global war sooner or later, as the poor struggle to survive and the rich and the petite bourgeoisie struggle to hold onto power, property and privilege. It will be one big bloody but cool mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Redleslie2 wrote:
    The effects of climate change are going to result in a global war sooner or later, as the poor struggle to survive and the rich and the petite bourgeoisie struggle to hold onto power, property and privilege. It will be one big bloody but cool mess.

Um dude, go back on the meds.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

nesf wrote:
    Um dude, go back on the meds.... :)
    Ah sure we'll be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'm moving to canada in a weeks time, if it has happened by the time I'm back next year I'll glady share all the canadian tips and secrets I learned over there to keep warm.

For a price, naturally.

Mordeth wrote:
    I'm moving to canada in a weeks time, if it has happened by the time I'm back next year I'll glady share all the canadian tips and secrets I learned over there to keep warm..

Well they build massive shopping complexs that stretch for blocks underground so people don't have to be outside when shopping. We can't build a small metro station ... yup, when the ice age comes we is screwed

Wicknight wrote:
    Well they build massive shopping complexs that stretch for blocks underground so people don't have to be outside when shopping.

Lazy Canadians! :rolleyes:
    ... yup, when the ice age comes we is screwed

I hope Mankind dies before that day. Would be beatuiful though with so much ice and snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Vangelis wrote:

The CO2 waste from our industries is clearly disturbing the atmospheric cycles and that's the cause for the increasing holes above both the North and South pole.

Sorry, what? Where did you get this? You're referring to the ozone layer, I assume. The ozone layer is being damaged by CFCs and similar, from old spray cans, refrigirators, fire extinguishers and so on.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas; it reduces loss of heat to space.
    Wicknight wrote:
    Well they build massive shopping complexs that stretch for blocks underground so people don't have to be outside when shopping. We can't build a small metro station ... yup, when the ice age comes we is screwed

It seems quite likely that we could deal with an ice age, at least better than we could deal with global warming. Drop black paint, or black GM algae, on the ice caps, pump CO2 into the atmosphere... A lot of research has been put into heating planets, for terraforming purposes. We have no similar easy solutions for cooling a planet.

And global warming now seems inevitable - every year, Earth is able to dissipate less heat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement