Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative writing course in the Irish Writers Centre?

Options
  • 30-11-2005 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone have any opinions on the creative writing courses in the Irish Writers centre? http://www.writerscentre.ie

Basically, I have a seriously active imagination with lots of mad ideas, but I just have difficulty writing them down. My English level is pretty good, I just find it hard to write down exactly what I'm thinking.

Would a creative writing course help me sort this out?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Probably it wouldnt hurt! That said, I used to have that problem when I would try to write with a pen and paper. All that changed when I got a laptop...then again I can type much faster than I can write so my words hit the page faster now...

The other obvious thing is practice. Its always hard to start something (after the initial idea) but if you write regularly you will find that the second day is easier than the first and so on...imo, there really isnt a better substitute to writing regularly for improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Hey, UCD do a really good one which I'm hoping to start in the spring....supposed to be really good ;)
    http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would probably be a good idea. It's amazing the amount of difference even minor suggestions and guidelines can make to your writing. I for one never attended any creative classes to date, but I was always interested in writing, if only for myself. As well as natural progression however, I was given a few tips by a friend once before after he read an essay of mine - I'm sure it was not more then a few lines of advice, it took him maybe the guts of 20 seconds to utter his opinions, but it really made a massive difference and noticably impacted on all my writings from that date onwards. So what I'm saying is ten minutes of advice from an expert can really do wonders, let alone an entire class or series of classes. You should definately go, you'll be amazed how much you will learn in a very short period of time.

You should never think you are good enough to accept advice :D Even though I know that's not applicable in your case but still....

Also, as Shador said, a computer makes a huge difference. I get extremely frustrated when writing on paper. I used to fill entire copies when I was younger, maybe 13, with mini "novels" - very hard to edit them, erase mistakes, or even get as clear as an idea you would like without writing it down first and having to scribble out stuff, swap it around, etc. If you don't use one for writing you really should. Made a world of difference to me when I started using my pc to write stuff, you get so much more done within set time frames with the bonus of not getting as stressed out

Advertisement