Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most addictive TV show of all time?

Options
  • 30-11-2005 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I can think of better TV shows then Lost but I cant remember one where I wanted to see the next episode straight away or sat through 10 episodes in a row (Season 1 DVD).

Ive never been a huge fan of "24" but Ive only seen one episode, I believe it has the same addictiveness as Lost. The West Wing is supposedly another.

Any others and do they come close to Lost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

No ive never been so addicted to a show as i have to lost. As soon as series one finished over here i was straight onto my counsins for season 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Prison Break and 24 (1st and 2nd series) would be my other addictions. Both just leave a cliff hanger at the end of each episdoe, ya gotta keep watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I always wondered how in 24 they never got suspicious that all the big things happen exactly on the hour...

I just keep repeating "it's only a TV show... it's only a TV show..."

But yeh I was much more addicted to 24...

Maybe because I only started watching it from video ('twas on sale on VHS and I was curious) so I could watch it from start to finish without interruption...

Wasted my entire first year in college...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

I always liked 24 but for me it didn't have the same addictive factor of lost. Now that I think about it the show might be crap but I really want "some sodding answers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

i watched all three seasons of millennium in about 5 days. thats about 80 odd episodes. not that im talking about it being addictive, i think i was just bored that week.

prison break has almost the same hold as lost on me. the (frustratingly short) season is over now, and it ended on the ultimate cliffhanger. they are equally bastardy with them.

lost is the daddy for me. i cant remember watching anything so intently week after week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I was addicted to lost for the first series but now i'm actually bored senseless by it....i just feel they are flogging that cash cow tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Talisman

For me Carnivale was an addiction, it took a few episodes to get going and then I was completely hooked. Pity it got cancelled after two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think it follows the same forumla as shows like The 4400 and Threshold...there's a mystery that culminates at the end of the series, and each new episode gives you more questions than answers. Highly addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Is Prison Break over? I'm only on Ep. 6 or so, but loving it. It's paced so well.

24 lost me when it used "person walking away and missing the telephone call that could end this ENTIRE CRISIS" for the FIVE BILLIONTH TIME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Is Prison Break over? I'm only on Ep. 6 or so, but loving it. It's paced so well.

24 lost me when it used "person walking away and missing the telephone call that could end this ENTIRE CRISIS" for the FIVE BILLIONTH TIME.

They've stopped it at episode 13 but it'll be back in March.
    For me, Prison Break has been much more enjoyable than Lost.

I watched most season 1 of Lost in the space of a weekend and i really enjoyed it.
    But season 2 isn't really doing it for me.
    They've hit it big and they seem to be milking it for all it's worth.
    All this talk of 4-5 seasons and a movie finale doesn't appeal at all.

If i could stop watching it and be guaranteed to not hear any major plot points, i'd wait until they'd concluded it and then maybe i'd watch it.

As it stands i'll probably end up watching the rest of this season and depending on how it pains out, decide to keep watching it or not.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Though i'm not enjoying the first half of the 2nd season nearly as much as i did for those first 10 episodes of the 1st season, i'm afraid i can say without doubt that i won't stop watching it anytime soon.

I'm too involved in the characters and their futures / storylines that will emerge on the island to just abandon it for a couple of weak episodes. The last few have really picked up for me... 'The Other 48 Days', 'Orientation' and 'Man Of Science, Man Of Faith' being my 3 favourite of the season (Haven't watched 'What Kate Did' yet though).

And reading JJ & Damon's ideas for the future in 'The Lost Chronicles' book really did interest me where they gave us a brief insight into some of Season 2 which they haven't explored yet!

I think the main reason this series started off so poorly really was because it focused far too much on the adventures of the Tailies and for us to have watched an entire series with the original cast and been really involved in their characters through flashbacks.. then to just ditch them to explore a couple of new characters really seemed a bad decision (fresh blood maybe being the appeal to the creators / writers?). For example.. we're 10 episodes in and i'd say bar Hurley's episode, he's had 10 minutes of screen time. And have we seen Claire more than twice or three times in the entire season so far?! This sorta stuff has annoyed me intensely this season.

But now with The Tailies and the original cast together... surely we're in for some great episodes. Just my opinion but i really can see things picking up from now on in!

'Lost' is certainly one of my favourite dramas in years... if just for that phenomenal first season alone. But 'Prison Break' is really giving it a run for it's money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Desperate Housewives is fairly addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

i really like Lost, don't think i'd ever watch it again though.. and tbh I rarely watch tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

So what do we think now? Im still ranking it as my most addictive TV show of all time, although "24" would also rank very high in the "need to see the next episode nnnnnow!" league ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

What you dragging up ancient threads for.

Most addictive is Prison Break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Skyuser wrote:
    What you dragging up ancient threads for.

Because Im a relatively new fan of 24 and didnt want to start a new thread. Prison Break had a great first season but it wouldnt rank anywhere in my top 5 "addictive" shows. Despite me looking forward to every new episode ..... it just didnt have that same "cant wait to see it" appeal of Lost. That finale was piss poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

is lost really addictive?

if it weren't for all the extra interactions.. oceanic-air.com, the bad twin, etc.. would it be as good? is there anybody out there who is just watching lost as just a tv show without any of the other stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Prison Break is brilliant.IMO
    There is always a feeling of wanting more after each episode.
    I'm only on episode 12 so I'll have to see haw it pans out.

But yeah LOST still gets me watching every week tough it is not as impressive as the 1st series by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Nip/Tuc is one for me. I loved TG4 for that show. Every Tuesday (or was it Monday) night at 11pm I was glued to the telly. The Carver story was excellent.

Battlestar Gallactica (the current series) is excellent too. I'v only just started watching season 2. It rocks!

Lost is definitely up there though. Lost is the King of the cliff hangers and is great at making you want to come back but Nip and BSG were/are better overall shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Barney/Bosco/The Den were all pretty addictive at one stage.

• Advertisement

I find it odd that you were able to find Barney AND Bosco addictive considering the gap in years between the two (about a decade). Whatever ever about The Den, you would have moved on from Bosco to that but where did Barney fit in?..... your mid twenties? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Did I say I was addicted to them?

Take it easy mate. No-one here is judging you. I'm sure there are loads of other guys out there that can't wait for their next fix of a talking purple dinosour entertaining proszac filled 8 year olds. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

Put simply, this is certainly the most addictive show i have ever watched. I have never been able to follow shows closely, but when Lost came about i watch it every week without interruption. In terms of how good the show is, its brilliant, great storyline, great writing, great directing. All round excellence for me.

Another show i adored was Band Of Brothers, but it was a mini series of only 10 eps, but also great.

Advertisement