Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granite Worktops

Options
  • 30-11-2005 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there have any idea of prices for granite worktops. I need 5.1mx0.6m counter top plus 1.2Mx1.2M for top of Island unit.

Can anyone reccommend a reliable/quality supplier in Leinster area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭beer enigma

These guys might be able to help....I used them when I fitted out a house in Dublin & they were very good on price.

http://www.countertopsdirect.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I paid £1500 punts 6 years ago for approx 2.5 metres of black granite worktop fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

There's a crowd in Newbridge called Wren fireplaces,they do granite aswell and are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I just got a small piece of worktop from C O'Neill & Sons in Carrickmines. It was just 1.5M x 0.3M (for bathroom) but it wasn't too expensive. I fitted it myself, but for a big job like yours, I would be a bit iffy about fitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,332 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How thick?

You need to let them know what work you want done to it - edging, holes, etc. Otherwise you get a quote for a sqaure bit of granite.

I think start at €1500+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

lime street works are the best try them

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Victor. It was just a guide price I was looking for, not a precise pricing but thanks for your input. At the moment, best quote is roughly €3000 to €4500 depending on colour and finish required.

Carpenter, lime street works? Can't find them listed in phone book. Any idea where they are based. Lime Street in Dublin I presume?

Andip. Thanks. I asked for a sample to be sent out as I haven't come across this before. Will consider it.

Cheers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Also Feelystone just outside Kill.

I got it there. I did the template myself, and fitting myself. Got approx 4 mtrs for about €2000 (30mm, Black, 3 pieces, Sink and 1/2 bowl cut out, drainage slits, about 1.5 mtrs polished on both sides, hob cut out).

**EDIT - "Polished on both sides", I meant to say the edges, as it is an island worktop. All the remaining worktop is polished on only one edge.

Thanks prospect. I've already been in touch and they are currently best quote.

Tell me, did you do much shopping around and find them the best or were they recommended to you? Did they deliver on time? What is the story about taking the template yourself. I didn't even consider this as I assume if they make a mistake it is their fault but if I make a mistake it is my fault. Not worth the risk.

Squire1

I got a few quotes, and these were the best, but there was also a slight time restriction.

They delivered exactly on time.

I had the guy who made my kitchen (a friend) help me with the templates. Funnily, as you mentioned, they did actually make one wrong. But as I had faxed them a drawing of the templates in situ, they had no choice but to accept responsility. In fairness, they never even argued, they put their hands up and re-made the piece and had it shipped out quick smart.

Regardin fitting. Because I fitted it myself, I had to cut out the hob piece. Because it is such a big hole, they only drill the four corner holes in the workshop, to prevent the sheet cracking in transit. Then when it is on site, you cut a line from each hole to the next to get your hole for the hob. This means renting a diamond tipped con-saw. (or paying them about €800 for fitting)

Any more info required, I'll be glad to help.

• Advertisement

€800 :eek: Prospect, you have me thinking now. I'll get back onto them to get a breakdown of price.

Cutting is no problem but what is the story with fitting. How is the granite fixed to the timber. Hilti gun seems a bit aggressive ;)

What is the story with joints in the granite. How are they filled/smoothed.

I presume they cut the ope for the sink as this would have to have a polished finish. Was it transported already cut? Smaller than the hob ope so not as prone to cracking?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Carpenter, lime street works? Can't find them listed in phone book. Any idea where they are based. Lime Street in Dublin I presume?

Squire 1

They are on Lime street Dublin 2.
    Just off Erne street lower. OR
    Turn right off sir John Rogerssons Quay ( leaving town) facing BJ marine ( real name of company) and they're down the end on the left.

Chef

squire1 wrote:
    €800 :eek: Prospect, you have me thinking now. I'll get back onto them to get a breakdown of price.

Cutting is no problem but what is the story with fitting. How is the granite fixed to the timber. Hilti gun seems a bit aggressive ;)

What is the story with joints in the granite. How are they filled/smoothed.

I presume they cut the ope for the sink as this would have to have a polished finish. Was it transported already cut? Smaller than the hob ope so not as prone to cracking?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the help.

Yep It was about €750 for fitting last year iirc. I'll dig up the documents for you if you like.

To fix it, you squirt a load of zig zag lines of silicone/adhesive on top of the units, and then sit the granit onto it, QED.

Joints, well, my worktop is balck, so i ran a thin bead of black/dark grey silicone along them, and pointed it. (note - on your template you will mark the points where slabs meet, and they will finish those edges accordingly)

Ope for sink is smaller, so therefore not a problem. Also, if your bowls are going to be under mounted, you need the ope edges polished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement