Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a heatsink/fan with a difference

Options
  • 30-11-2005 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Unlike a lot of people I am looking for a heatsink/fan to cool a Amd Athlon-2000 chip and dont care how noisey it is.My old one is on the way out so am looking for one that is cheap €15-€20 but cools really well. Marx Comps have two in that price bracket but not sure how good they are at cooling
    http://www.marxcomputers.ie/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CPUAMD&cart_id=

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good 3rd party temp probe like the asus one as I had a look around Abits site and cannot see one for the SocketA KT7 board

Thks Cubix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I used use an Artic Cooling Copper 2L when I had a Socket A setup. It's very very quiet, and it looks damn cool too with it's blue leds- dunno though if thats your kinda thing.
    It has 3 speed selections, and as yours is an Athlon 2000 you can leave it on the lowest speed selector.

I think Peat's still do it for €19.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

why dont u get an xp-120 cooler and a badass 120mm fan, u can get ones with 100+cfm, but they run at like 40db's noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

gline wrote:
    why dont u get an xp-120 cooler and a badass 120mm fan, u can get ones with 100+cfm, but they run at like 40db's noise

But would a xp-120 fit a socket A motherboard ?

BadCharlie wrote:
    But would a xp-120 fit a socket A motherboard ?

it depends on the mobo. What is the make/model of your mobo cubix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Abit KT7;)

• Advertisement

cubix wrote:
    Abit KT7;)

if the xp-120 is compatible .. then go for that and a beast of a fan for it, will give great preformance

Just had a quick look at a review of a xp-120 very nice;) but prices started at $49. This is just an old box I leave running all the time and not sure if the box is worth $49:D

cubix wrote:
    Just had a quick look at a review of a xp-120 very nice;) but prices started at $49. This is just an old box I leave running all the time and not sure if the box is worth $49:D

then just walk in to maplins or peats and pick up the damned cheapest hsf u can find

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

SyxPak wrote:

SP-94 bare sink
    $59.95
    SP-94 Extreme (Delta 110 CFM)
    $74.95

he doesnt wana pay that much

• Advertisement

After a bit more investigating it turns out to be the fan on the MB its self

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gline wrote:
    SP-94 bare sink
    $59.95
    SP-94 Extreme (Delta 110 CFM)
    $74.95

he doesnt wana pay that much
    I was thinking more like the SLK-900A (which I *need* two of - any offers?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If its the motherboard fan that's going just pick up any of the 3rd party chipset coolers around the place. One of the fanless zalman or thermalright ones would do you grand, the old chipsets didnt make much heat.

Cheers, do you reckon it could do with out the chipset fan when it does eventually go?. Still looking for a 3rd party temp probe progy like asus's as my Abit board can only be checked in the bios

Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

try one of these passive NB heatsinks:

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_23_46/products_id/257
    or
    http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_23_46/products_id/257

You could also get this if you wanna bring your CPU temps down:

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/16/products_id/245

Good paste is always a good thing to have for your CPU and NB

Get speedfan to check your temps. MBM can be used as well, but I find speedfan more quick and dirty and thats the way I like it! Bear in mind that most mobos dont have a chipset probe.

If after all this, you still want to replace your CPU cooler,have a lookise here:

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/default.php/cPath/21_23_46

Hitide are based in Fairview AFAIK.

Cheers SC;)

Advertisement