Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alchemy

Options
  • 30-11-2005 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Not sure where to put this thread... Paranormal, Philosophy, Chemistry...?

But I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book about Alchemy?
    It's something that's started to really fascinate me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hmm... this is better suited to the literature forum, I think. Hope a good book on alchemy is easier to find than the philosopher's stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

silenoz wrote:
    But I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book about Alchemy?

How about The Alchemist - Paulo Coehlo

Or are you actually looking into Alchemy as a career move - if so I would suggest An Idiots Guide to Alchemy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

finlma wrote:
    How about The Alchemist - Paulo Coehlo

Or are you actually looking into Alchemy as a career move - if so I would suggest An Idiots Guide to Alchemy :D

That's not really about Alchemy per say. But it is one hell of a book and worth the read either way. Sorry I can't help with the original question.

patzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

There's surprisingly little alchemy in The Alchemist. Didn't like it for the record, I want my money back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PJG

patzer117 wrote:
    That's not really about Alchemy per say. But it is one hell of a book and worth the read either way. Sorry I can't help with the original question.

patzer

Yeah I'd go with that, really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

I read the Alchemist a few years ago, I think that's what sparked my current interest in the subject. It's a great story...
    I would like to find out more about it from a scientific point of view now.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

silenoz wrote:
    I read the Alchemist a few years ago, I think that's what sparked my current interest in the subject. It's a great story...
    I would like to find out more about it from a scientific point of view now.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

There isn't really any scientific view on it because most of it is a load of cobbler's. However it did set some of the foundations for chemistry, maybe not in facts and theory but definitely in spirit.

Cobbler's eh? Well surely it was the basis for Chemistry, more than just in spirit. In mythology it is said that many Alchemists knew how to carry out a form of nuclear fisson on a small scale. Apparently the reason no-one has discovered this form of fisson is because the methods are lost, and is only passed from one Alchemist to another as it is too dangerous for any others to know, and it supposedly takes decades to perfect. It would explain how you could turn lead into gold, as nuclear fisson is a method for transforming one element into another.
    However, it does sound like cobbler's. I'm quite sceptical anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Unfortunately I don't think nuclear fission is possible without a particle accellerator or a star. And I've often thought that myself though about nuclear reactions being the modern alchemy but I'm not a believer in alchemy. I do find all the ideas and myths very interesting though, all those esoteric arts and beliefs are fascinating

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

silenoz wrote:
    Apparently the reason no-one has discovered this form of fisson is because the methods are lost, and is only passed from one Alchemist to another as it is too dangerous for any others to know
    "If I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense."
    Bertrand Russell

:)

• Advertisement

"If I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense."
    Bertrand Russell

:)

I was waiting for someone to come out with such a quote... So much exists that cannot be proven, I believe (or I want to believe) that it is possible to carry out Nuclear Fission through ancient techniques.
    This was one of the ideas that made me want to examine the art of Alchemy further. So, hey, any more suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Richelieu

I'm no expert, but research everything you can about the Comte de Saint Germain. There are various bibliographies available online I think. Not to mention the layouts and plans of various diagrams and cubes he made, the importance of which I forget, but which I actually have somewhere, this will show you I once dabbled in all that myself (reading it i mean, not the actually alchemy, ahem)

Incidentally, avoid the book the alchemist at all costs! :D

Advertisement