Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire's Top 50 Movies 2005

Options
  • 29-11-2005 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Anyone see Empire's 50 top films of 2005?
    Sideways no.1. WTF? They don't even have a decent reason as to why they like it.
    What does everyone else think? Am I wrong to think Empire are wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Haven't seen Sideways. But 2005 hasn't been a great year for movies anyway.
    Must wander over to the empire.co.uk and see the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 musing

HA! Sidways.... was good but so much more out there.
    The Brothers Grimm was fantantastic!!
    Heath Ledger - Hot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Is it online? Link?

Well, Sideways was pretty good. I liked it a lot. It had a lot of artistic merit and a lot of other things going for it: great acting, good script, good jokes and set scenes. Anyway, I don't have any problems with it being No. 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 musing

Kiss, kiss. Bang, Bang was also an excellent film, surprisingly so!
    Robert Downey Jnr..... nough said really.

Apologies I understand that this is not a forum for my raging hormones.
    But meow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The top movie of 2005 probably hasn't been released yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Not online that I know of.

The top 25 from this month's issue:
    1. Sideways
    2. Batman Begins
    3. Crash
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Sin City
    6. Downfall
    7. Brokeback Mountain
    8. War of the Worlds
    9. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
    10. Serenity
    11. A History of Violence
    12. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
    13. Million Dollar Baby
    14. DiG!
    15. Friday Night Lights
    16. The Descent
    17. Team America: World Police
    18. Pride and Prejudice
    19. Night Watch
    20. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    21. The Constant Gardener
    22. Cinderella Man
    23. Everything is Illuminated
    24. Hotel Rwanda
    25. Kung Fu Hustle

My thoughts? Poor show, Empire. Downfall, Crash, Cinderella Man and Hotel Rwanda in one list? Very heavy going. And I personally don't feel that Hotel Rwanda or Downfall are good movies - they're not good stories and they're not particularly well done. Important movies, maybe. Good movies, not so much.

PS Ruskie4Rent - I don't think you can say that they're wrong. They're just opinions, after all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

A lot of good decisions i have to say... at least it made up my mind what to see in the cinema tomorrow, 'everything is illuminated' for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,820 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Absolutely dying to see Everything Is Illuminated... looks phenomenal and excited to see how Liev does behind the camera.

Outta the ones i've seen:

1. Sideways
    2. Batman Begins
    3. Crash
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Sin City
    8. War of the Worlds
    10. Serenity
    12. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
    13. Million Dollar Baby
    15. Friday Night Lights
    16. The Descent
    17. Team America: World Police
    20. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

There's some incredible poor choices in there - 'Friday Night Lights' being inside-and-out a distinctly average film.

Didn't enjoy Sideways whatsoever!

Outta all i've seen, 'Serenity' still is the funnest, funniest and overall best film i've seen this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 underpantsgirl

Am I wrong to think Empire are wrong?

No way, they dont have a clue most of the time

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The ones I've seen followed by my OPINIONS
    1. Sideways - Enjoyed it a lot - but not the best movie this year.
    2. Batman Begins - very enjoyable yarn - not deserving of number 2
    3. Crash - one of my movies of the year. found it very interesting and the soundtrack was class
    4. Revenge of the Sith - utter sewerage, the more i think of this movie the worse i think of it.
    5. Sin City - great fun. very well done and different which 2005 needed in fairness
    6. Downfall - enjoyed this immensly, big fan of all things WWII so seeing the other side of the war was very insightful

8. War of the Worlds - pure tripe - a boring dakota fanning screamfest with almost as bad an ending as ocean's twelve.

10. Serenity - this would be up there with crash as one of my movies of the year. like pirates of the carribean in space.

12. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit - laughed. alot. nuff said.
    13. Million Dollar Baby - brilliant - had all the emotions.

15. Friday Night Lights - liked this but thought it would be better - ending was different.
    16. The Descent - i normally avoid horror flicks but this one was worth seeing and the clausterphobia was brilliant.
    17. Team America: World Police - i laughed the first time. quite poor after the second viewing for some reason.

21. The Constant Gardener - hugely enjoyed this. again, interesting.
    22. Cinderella Man - fantastic i thought. wanted to fight someone on the way out.

25. Kung Fu Hustle - my movie of the year. without doubt the funniest film i've seen in a long long time. genius. (be warned tho - probably an acquired taste this one)

Thats my 2 cents. (phew)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

It was the writers choice so it doesn't actually reflect what the readers thought. But I have a sneaking suspicion that we probably wouldn't agree with that either.

What I noticed about the list is that theres alot of enjoyable films in there, that are just that. I mean Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was fun, same goes for Serenity but I wouldn't really consider alot of the films great.

So its not a great list but lists generally aren'y so its no big suprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Revenge Of The Sith should be a lot further south of 4th spot. And what the hell is Friday Night Lights doing in the list??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,820 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think Revenge Of The Sith should be a lot further south of 4th spot. And what the hell is Friday Night Lights doing in the list??
    Agree and agree!

:D

Sorry to pun on the obvious here... but more like "Revenge Of The S*it"!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

4. Revenge of the Sith
    8. War of the Worlds

Both of these movies were very average and bordering on poor so how they could be so high up in that list is beyond me. I never really pay much attention to these lists anymore because some of them are just utterly ridiculous

Total Film's top 20:
    1. Sideways
    2. Batman Begins
    3. Murderball
    4. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
    5. The Descent
    6. Sin City
    7. A History of Violence
    8. Million Dollar Baby
    9. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    10. Kung Fu Hustle
    11. Crash
    12. Saraband
    13. Wedding Crashers
    14. Mysterious Skin
    15. Wolf Creek
    16. Lord of War
    17. The Constant Gardener
    18. Somersault
    19. Serenity
    20. Innocence

Ah here - Sideways at number one again?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd be more inclined to Total Film's Top 20 - I enjoyed most of those on its list as among my movie "highlights" of the year, although Sideways is definetely over-rated. Glad to see "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" get in at #4, although I'd personally place it higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think Empire is alot more accurate in general, for reviews, if you think of their scores as how much you will enjoy the movie...rather than how good it is. Does this make sense ?

ixoy wrote:
    I'd be more inclined to Total Film's Top 20 - I enjoyed most of those on its list as among my movie "highlights" of the year, although Sideways is definetely over-rated. Glad to see "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" get in at #4, although I'd personally place it higher.
    Indeed - I was much happier to see Murderball on the list (and up so high!) instead of, say, DiG! or Downfall. In fact, the only thing on their list that I'd strongly disagree with, besides Sideways, is Somersault. That film really didn't do anything for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Tusky wrote:
    I think Empire is alot more accurate in general, for reviews, if you think of their scores as how much you will enjoy the movie...rather than how good it is. Does this make sense ?
    I'd agree with that - I think Empire knows what its target audience likes by now - they get away with giving more than others if they think most of their readers are on the mindset of thinking the movie was crap but fun sort of thing.

Saying that though - I still think 4 stars for War of the Worlds and friggin Alexander were still far too generous. Episode 3 was total poo for me but any major star wars fan would agree with empire's 4 sar rating.

To be safe I normally subtract 1 star from their reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

my opinions:
    I think Crash should be lower (personally I would leave it out), Wallace and Gromit should be higher. Sideways was really good I think it deserves the top spot or at least the top 3. Id get rid of team america off the list, it was funny but not great. The Descent was a quality film for what it was. Sin City definately should be above revenge of the Sith..
    I didn't really enjot Kung Fu hustle, maybe i just wast in the mood for it, seemed like something I'd like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement