Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark City (1998)

Options
  • 29-11-2005 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

I only heard about this movie about a year ago, and finding it not available on region 2 dvd, it took me a while to find it and get to see it. I had heard great things about it and knew Roger Ebert said it was one of the greatest films of all time.
    Well..I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Visually, its stunning - sort of like Brazil meets The Matrix meets Metropolis meets Blade Runner. The whole atmosphere felt original yet somehow familiar..the whole sci-fi / noir feeling just worked so well.
    The story was also highly original and didn't feel like the same old things rehashed over and over.
    There were some things I wasnt too crazy about, some of the acting was a bit...off and the incredibly fast editing, while working most of the time along with the beat of the score, at times felt dizzying.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed this little known gem and was wondering what you thought of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fairly sure it is out on Region 2 - I have it. At least I think I do. It's a great film alright, but I felt the ending spoiled it slightly - it's a bit too 'Twilight Zone' for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I checked amazon again and saw an old R2 dvd release there! You're right! Never saw that in the shops, but the one I think I was looking for was the New Line Platinum SE release which is only region 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Try here. for £6.99.

Amazing film though. Oddly enough, the script for the film was optioned to Warner Brothers at first, before New Line took it, but then WB came out with The Matrix a year later, which is quite similar in it's plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yes, they are similar in plot and also in visuals. Have a look on this page at the screencaps comparing shots in Dark City to The Matrix. Some are quite iffy, but some are so similar, its downright scary :

http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, they are similar in plot and also in visuals. Have a look on this page at the screencaps comparing shots in Dark City to The Matrix. Some are quite iffy, but some are so similar, its downright scary :

Some are definetly iffy alright, but you can't help compare Richard O'Brien's character who kept saying "Mr. Murdoch" quite condescendingly to Agent Smith who pretty much said "Mr. Anderson" in much the same way. Quite uncanny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thats crazy! Some are scary similiar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dark city owns the matrix.
    If there had only been one matrix, it probably would have owned dark city... but matrices two and three really let the side down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Dark City is available on R2. Or at least it was - I've got a copy of it somewhere. Warning though, it's not anamorphic widescreen, and the transfer is a little crappy. Although there's supposedly a fancypants special edition on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭sobberandclean

i got the jap dts version but read this yeah guys exelent movie.

OVERALL: Draw
    Between the R2 French release - for the DTS track and additional extras and the R1 for the second Commentary.
    CUTS:
    R1 America - (New Line) - No Cuts.
    R2 France - (Seven 7) - No cuts
    R2 Germany - (Kinowelt) - No cuts
    R2 Holland - (New Line) - No cuts
    R2 Scandinavia - (Sandrew Metronome) - No cuts
    R2 United Kingdom - (Entertainment In Video) - No cuts
    R4 Australia - (Roadshow Home Entertainment) - No cuts
    If you have any corrections or comments on this comparison then please visit The Rewind Forums
    Comparison added by Craig on July 20th 2001
    Comparison last updated by minister_x on March 15th 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

really liked this movie when it came out & i was always recommending it to people (who i though would like it) when i worked in xtravision

• Advertisement

It's easily one of my favourite science fiction films in the past few years. Far superior to the Matrix.

Anyone remember The Thirteenth Floor. Parts of that we're also very similar to The Matrix

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Anyone remember The Thirteenth Floor. Parts of that were also very similar to The Matrix

It was on tv recently and I'd heard that it was similar to The Matrix / Dark City so I had a look. It was alright and I'm a big Vincent D'Onofrio fan so I was happy but I didn't really think it was in the same league as The Matrix or Dark City... and for the record I'd say Dark City was the best out of the three...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

dark city + black mask = matrix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, i saw The Thirteenth Floor there the other week on tv. It wasn't half-bad. Made the same year as the Matrix as well!

Actually, does anyone know why it was called The Thirteenth Floor? I mean apart from the fact the computers were on that floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

SofaKing wrote:
    Actually, does anyone know why it was called The Thirteenth Floor? I mean apart from the fact the computers were on that floor.

Don't know if you've seen it already but there's a bit of a discussion going on IMDb (Link), I have no idea myself but there are a few ideas there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Great film gritty and dark with lots of questions about what makes us who we are. Guess I will have to look out for a dvdcopy evnetually to replace my vhs copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

And I'm sure if you look for them you'll find very similar shots in the matrix and the crow (off the top of my head the running on rooftops scenes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

Brilliant movie. I definately recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kasm

SofaKing wrote:
    Yeah, i saw The Thirteenth Floor there the other week on tv. It wasn't half-bad. Made the same year as the Matrix as well!

I thought it was named after the strip that was in the Scream "horror" comics a good few years back.

haven't seen the movie but it sounds sort of Twilight Zone-esque which would tie in with the comic

Advertisement