Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeon Flux

Options
  • 29-11-2005 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Having been a huge fan of the cartoon series as a teenager, I was dubious about the film. Checking out the trailer

http://www.aeonflux.com/

It looks like a straightforward Sci Fi rebellion action movie. I er, accquired most of the series online to rekindle my memory.

I was surprised how blatant the sexuality of the series was. I mean I remember it was there but I always thought it was overt and implied rather than so in your face, but the clear graphic S&M imagery and themes in the cartoon took me slightly aback (maybe I've just become more prudish in my old age).

Anyway the film has dropped most of the ambiguity of Trevor and Aeon's relationship, in fact, it appears to have dropped the the ambiguity of Aeon's personal politics (merc, rebel, free agent?) as well as the clear sexual themes in straight up kill kill bang bang Sci Fi.

Theron is a good enough choice, I saw Kate Beckinsale in the lead myself. There needs to be a coldness to her, that most actresses lack.

It's an unusual choice for director, a woman, who's first film was the lo budget girlfight. So it could be a bit different.

Any thought? Anyone excited? Or just have the same dubious feeling that V for Vendetta inspires?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Excellent! Had heard rumours of this.

I hope to god it's good. Not sure if I would have preferred animation to live action though. Soon we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Freelancer wrote:
    I was surprised how blatant the sexuality of the series was. I mean I remember it was there but I always thought it was overt and implied rather than so in your face, but the clear graphic S&M imagery and themes in the cartoon took me slightly aback (maybe I've just become more prudish in my old age).

Any thought? Anyone excited? Or just have the same dubious feeling that V for Vendetta inspires?

yeah i watched back over a few of the old episodes to ignite the ole memory. i was fairly young when it was on so i wasn't aware of the blatant sexuality aeon exerts...

i think V for Vendetta could be quite the film, but aeon flux's trailer suggests cheapo b-movie download rather then "must see" popcorn flick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

yeah i watched back over a few of the old episodes to ignite the ole memory. i was fairly young when it was on so i wasn't aware of the blatant sexuality aeon exerts...

And trevor, one of the cartoons I saw has Aoen applying electrodes to a blokes nipple rings, while trevor preforms spinal surgery as a sex act.

Battle of the planets it ain't.

but aeon flux's trailer suggests cheapo b-movie download rather then "must see" popcorn flick

Ah but thats what they said about Serenity's trailer...........

Either they've expunged all the weird psychosexual chemistry from the plot, or have hidden it lest they don't offend middle american and turn them off it.

My money is on the former, theres no way something that weird could have been made.

If only Cronenburg had made it, back, y'know, when he was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wow just thinking about cronenburg making this movie would have been very...interesting

Advertisement