Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cost effective build.

Options
  • 29-11-2005 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭

I am building a gaming pc for my brother, whos budget is set at 750. Plus abut 30 for a second hand crt.

This is the list I came up with:
    * AMD Opteron 144, 1.8GHz,Socket 939, 1MB, BOXED w/fan
    * Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3,PCI-Express, Tv-Out, DVI-I, Lite-Retail
    * Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB SATA28MB 7200RPM
    * In-Win X711B Full Tower ATX SilverCase w/430W PSU, Lcd Panel, USB 2.0
    * LG DVD Drive, GDR-8163RBB, 16x52,Black OEM
    * Razer Diamondback Plasma 1600dpi,Optical Mouse, USB
    * Trust Multi Function KeyboardEnglish, UK, PS/2, Retail
    * Corepad EYEpad, 325x290mm,Smooth cloth mousepad, Oem
    * Vapochill Micro Xtreme Cooler92mm fan, Socket 754/939/940
    * Sapphire Pure Performance, Socket-939,Radeon Xpress 200, ATX, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16

This is from komplett, and comes to about 760. Ram will be some ocz linited edition gold pc4400 I have around. PLus I have a spare raptor I will be giving him.

Can anybody here find any flaws with this list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Might as well get a dvd burner instead of the DVD-ROM, given that they're dirt cheap these days? Cheapest one on Komplett is 43.90. That's only about 20 quid more than the LG DVD-ROM costs.

I'm not familiar with the sapphire motherboard at all, what chipset does it use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Consider the GTO2 from overclockers.co.uk instead of the GTO - it mods to equiv of an X850XT.
    Also consider a Epox motherboard instead!
    Agreed with the DVD-rw recommendation - go for the NEC 3550A.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thx for the help, which epox motherboard would be good for oc-ing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

All epox's are pretty good for overclocking!

Basically best way to find out is to google all the individual motherboard numbers and look at lots of reviews :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thx I thought gigabyte, asus and dfi were only good for oc-ing. Not used to this whole budget thing for rig building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Nah, the epox nf4 ultra board on komplett is a great OCer. 300 FSB without batting an eyelid. all for about 90 yoyos.

The zalman 7700 alcu for a fiver extra might be a good idea aswell. That micro vapochill hasn't got the best reviews.

As for case/psu, this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305075&cks=PRL for another tenner is much better than the one you have down. Not gonna get much overclocking done without a quality powersupply.

Advertisement