Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son is playing COD 2 and .......

Options
  • 29-11-2005 12:14pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my son Daire he is 7 had been playing COD 2 on my PC a lot lately. He has gotten about as far as i have in single player on the african levels and that. Mind you he is playing it on easy but he is still doing well concidering. So any way he was playing it over the weekend and first time I thought the graphics really looked great. He was playing the snow levels ( the battle of the bulge ) bombing around in a jeep and I thought it looked amazing. I said to him playing cod 2 again then and he said " No dad im trying UO now " I was schocked, there I was for the first time thinking it looked good and it wasent even cod 2. When I last played UO it was on my Gforce4 ti4600 now I was looking at it on a Gforce 6600gt and it blew me away. I thought it looked better and smoother that COD2.
    Now heres the thing the UO had every thing at max making it look fantastic. My COD 2 install is pretty much at default except ive up the res to 1024x768. But it only runs ok at that to get it up to UO levels would kill frame rates turning on that DX9 and all that. So how can it be better if my PC (witch is a reasonably high spec by todays standards) cant handel it. Do I have to wait till COD 3 comes out or at least Cod 2 UO?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I run COD2 on DX9 everything maxxed out,FSAAX4 and it looks absolutely stunning.
    I never drop below 80-140 fps.
    It is light years ahead of COD or UO gfx engine when run in DX 9.
    COD and UO use a tweaked Quake 3 engine which is DX 7 i think.
    If your system cant handle DX 9 switch to DX 7,even that looks better than COD or UO and is silky smooth on average cards.

spookey m8 my old machine has a better gfx card than 6600GT ie ATI X800XL and it struggled to get a consistent framerate above 40 fps in DX 9 even with FSAA off no wonder UO was smoother for you than COD2.
    6600GT card is already an old card tbh m8 and COD2 will bring it to its knees.
    Another factor here is my X800XL card even with everything @ max didnt come near looking as good as new card/machine running same settings
    My old machine on same setting i run now struggled to reach 10 fps.
    My point here is COD2 with a 6600GT card will not run smooth on DX 9

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I know that what im saying its a critism I see with the game that gforce 6 generation cards cant run well in dx9 when the gfroce 7xxx cards are only out, im not sure how they will handel it. On Dx 7 im not impressed with how it looks I should be able to run it s dx9 when the gforce 5 series cards where the first to be dx9 capable. Comparing how UO looked from the gf4 to gf6 I was well impressed I thought it looked better than COD2 did in the gf6. All that said I will go home and expierment with my card see what it can and cand do.

Advertisement